This discussion is closed.
goldenboy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i got a third in law. messed up two modules and cruised the rest, but still messed up.

i got poor alevels, but goog work experience. will postgraduate study in something like management help me at all?

i mite take a year out, temp for experience then do a masters. will this compensate and help finding an ok job or is all lost?

come on guys-help the lad out!
MentallyIll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by goldenboy)
i got a third in law. messed up two modules and cruised the rest, but still messed up.

i got poor alevels, but goog work experience. will postgraduate study in something like management help me at all?

i mite take a year out, temp for experience then do a masters. will this compensate and help finding an ok job or is all lost?

I think you'll have difficulty getting onto postgrad
d750
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MentallyIll)
I think you'll have difficulty getting onto postgrad
Agreed. You won't have m/any options open to you.
Fairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Could you resit any of the modules or repeat the 3rd year. It may be more helpful. Try talking to a careers advisor at your uni. Good luck!
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by goldenboy)

I would see if there are any resit options. A masters usually requires a 2.2 minimum, a doctorate a 2.1
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's very few postgraduate places for students with a Third, if I was you I'd try to resit a few papers, maybe repeat the whole year.
young_free
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well do you want to be a lawyer or just get a good job? There's loads of jobs you can do where they won't mind you've got a third, then you can work your way up. Try admin work for companies with good prospects.
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How about doing some work in the mean time may be earn some credits with the OU and then going back to do a Masters?
js_atco
Report 16 years ago
Most degree programs do not permit re-sits in the final stage. On occasions, some institutions will permit this, but I think it's rare.

Have you tried to appeal against your mark? I would certainly suggest this is your first course of action. If this doesn't produce a positive result, it may be possible to repeat the WHOLE year, thus re-sitting the exams also.

One thing you should think carefully about is the quality of teaching/degree you are likely to get from a postgrad program that takes applicants with 3rds. How will a future employer view the program and the institution? If you're in doubt, don't do it. Postgrad programs are extremely costly. One that neither benefits you intellectually, nor career-wise, is a complete waste of your time, and money!
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why not try to become a Company Secretary? You need legal knowledge and the average pay is over £50k, one fifth earn over £100k, so you won't be below the poverty line.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Why not try to become a Company Secretary? You need legal knowledge and the average pay is over £50k, one fifth earn over £100k, so you won't be below the poverty line.
Or just become a managing director, sallerys are even better.

seriously YOU HAVE A DEGREE, that is more than most of the population, stop beating yourself up about it.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sashh)
Or just become a managing director, sallerys are even better.

seriously YOU HAVE A DEGREE, that is more than most of the population, stop beating yourself up about it.
But it's quite easy to become a Company Secretary, becoming an MD is very difficult.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
But it's quite easy to become a Company Secretary, becoming an MD is very difficult.
are you sure you understand the role of a company secretary?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sashh)
are you sure you understand the role of a company secretary?
Yes
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads