The Student Room Group

Submit a 4 on AP?

I independently studied for AP World History and European History, as my school doesn't offer an AP curriculum. I'm applying for the History and Politics course. I got a 5 in Euro, but a 4 in World History. Should I submit the 4? It must reflect really badly on my application, but I do want to send in the 5 on Euro and collegeboard doesn't have the provision of choosing which scores to send. What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by evar12345
I independently studied for AP World History and European History, as my school doesn't offer an AP curriculum. I'm applying for the History and Politics course. I got a 5 in Euro, but a 4 in World History. Should I submit the 4? It must reflect really badly on my application, but I do want to send in the 5 on Euro and collegeboard doesn't have the provision of choosing which scores to send. What should I do?

When you're applying for UK universities you have to declare all of your scores, so you must send in both :smile:
Reply 2
collegeboard doesn't have the provision of choosing which scores to send. What should I do?

You can cancel your scores if you're unhappy with them. If you don't, general policy is that you must submit all scores. What other scores are you planning to submit to meet the minimum requirements?
Reply 3
Original post by hrunting
You can cancel your scores if you're unhappy with them. If you don't, general policy is that you must submit all scores. What other scores are you planning to submit to meet the minimum requirements?

I'm afraid I could only have cancelled them in June, back when they hadn't even come out. I do not exactly need American qualifications to apply to Oxford, my school grades are enough, as I'm not American. But I wanted to exhibit that I had taken challenging courses. But now a 4 would seem to say that I'm not ready for the academic rigours of Oxford, wouldn't it? At the same time, I do want to submit my 5 on AP Euro, which I can't without submitting the 4 as well. Which do you think would do more harm? Giving both, or not giving neither?

I took the SAT and I meet the requirements there (2160). My subject test scores (I took two: eng lit and world history) meet the requirements too but they aren't ideal (730 in lit and 760 in history).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm afraid I could only have cancelled them in June, back when they hadn't even come out. I do not exactly need American qualifications to apply to Oxford, my school grades are enough, as I'm not American. But I wanted to exhibit that I had taken challenging courses. But now a 4 would seem to say that I'm not ready for the academic rigours of Oxford, wouldn't it? At the same time, I do want to submit my 5 on AP Euro, which I can't without submitting the 4 as well. Which do you think would do more harm? Giving both, or not giving neither?

I took the SAT and I meet the requirements there (2160). My subject test scores (I took two: eng lit and world history) meet the requirements too but they aren't ideal (730 in lit and 760 in history).

Sorry for the two month late response, but I suppose you could just go the complete no report route. Unfortunately, none of these scores are exactly ideal. I wish I had access to all of the admissions data to tell you whether submitting these scores would improve your chances or not. I guess it really depends on the strength of your school grades and your confidence in your interview ability. Sorry that I don't have anything more conclusive to say. I do definitely agree that 4 is not really up to Oxford standard. From what I've learned of the UK system, the difference between a 4 and a 5 is significantly more than between an A* and an A. It's probably more like a B.
Reply 5
Original post by hrunting
Sorry for the two month late response, but I suppose you could just go the complete no report route. Unfortunately, none of these scores are exactly ideal. I wish I had access to all of the admissions data to tell you whether submitting these scores would improve your chances or not. I guess it really depends on the strength of your school grades and your confidence in your interview ability. Sorry that I don't have anything more conclusive to say. I do definitely agree that 4 is not really up to Oxford standard. From what I've learned of the UK system, the difference between a 4 and a 5 is significantly more than between an A* and an A. It's probably more like a B.

My grades in school are pretty good. I more than simply meet the Oxford requirement. But they aren't outstanding Do you think I should submit the APs then? I'm sorry for being so persistent about this, but I really don't want them to go in vain.
You have to report everything as far as I know. It can count as fraud if you don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending