Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a stupid question.
    When a woman is adressed as Mrs Husband's name. Is that a form of idiomatic language?

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be idiomatic? Idiomatic is like "it's raining cats and dogs"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's a common adress, in the past. I thought it might fall under idioms. But thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Hashbrown98)
    It's a common adress, in the past. I thought it might fall under idioms. But thanks.
    It doesn't make a difference what grammatical tense the sentence or phrase is.

An idiom is a fixed group of words that has a figurative meaning, though sometimes literal.

So referring to a woman by her married name is just normal. There's no linguistic name for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    It doesn't make a difference what grammatical tense the sentence or phrase is.

An idiom is a fixed group of words that has a figurative meaning, though sometimes literal.

So referring to a woman by her married name is just normal. There's no linguistic name for it.
    Ahhh, damn it. I messed up terribly. I had to write the worst exam, I've ever written during the second most important exam. But surely it must fall under pragmatics, as referring to woman as Mrs John Doe rather than Jane Doe, is not as common.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Hashbrown98)
    Ahhh, damn it. I messed up terribly. I had to write the worst exam, I've ever written during the second most important exam. But surely it must fall under pragmatics, as referring to woman as Mrs John Doe rather than Jane Doe, is not as common.
    Thats not really pragmatics either hon. Pragmatics is all about context surrounding language like turn taking in conversation, political correctness, etc.

Well its nost common in 19th century literature and life. Anything before 1900 the phrase like that is most common. For instance in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, Pips older sister is referred to as Mrs Joe rather than her 1st name.

Its not common after C19th.

I dont know what linguistic group it belongs to, but it isnt pragmatics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.