The Student Room Group

Will antibiotics affect my period?

Hi!
I'm on antibiotics (penicillin) until the 30th August (been on them since Wednesday so it's a 10 day course) for a nasty bacterial infection in my sinuses. I'm on the pill, but just recently I've been getting spotting whenever I go to the toilet. I know antibiotics affect the pill, but is this a sign that my period is going to get messed up? I'm going on holiday in about 2 weeks so if it came on time then it would be perfect, but if not, I'm going to be on my period on my holiday!
I was just wondering if it's known to affect my cycle and whether I'll come on early or late? Or totally on time? I'm due a week on Wednesday so not long anyway. It's better that I come on late than early though! Is the spotting anything to worry about or is this normal on antibiotics? I am around the time where I would spot if I was going to spot.

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!
I'm on antibiotics (penicillin) until the 30th August (been on them since Wednesday so it's a 10 day course) for a nasty bacterial infection in my sinuses. I'm on the pill, but just recently I've been getting spotting whenever I go to the toilet. I know antibiotics affect the pill, but is this a sign that my period is going to get messed up? I'm going on holiday in about 2 weeks so if it came on time then it would be perfect, but if not, I'm going to be on my period on my holiday!
I was just wondering if it's known to affect my cycle and whether I'll come on early or late? Or totally on time? I'm due a week on Wednesday so not long anyway. It's better that I come on late than early though! Is the spotting anything to worry about or is this normal on antibiotics? I am around the time where I would spot if I was going to spot.

Thanks!

It can affect the pill and I believe that means absorbtion of it. In other words you could not be taking in the pill so any affects it usually has on you or your periods could be reversed. I found that I fot spotting and infact have now been spotting every day since.

I was reassured that this is completely normal to happen (though the long lasting affects is unusual) and nothing to worry about. If you're concerned though you could pop in and see a pharmacist or something for peace of mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest