Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys !

How was IGCSE geography for you guys?
    Was is it HARD / MEDIUM / EASY?

I was thinking if i should take it or not but i'm worried if it has got MATH in it (for the Alternative to coursework of anything) If i'm taking it, i'm planing to teach myself the subject.

ReputationRep:
    i did IGCSE Edexcel geography. It was amazing! i enjoyed it so much! even taking it a a-level. I didnt get any coursework tho :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    i did IGCSE Edexcel geography. It was amazing! i enjoyed it so much! even taking it a a-level. I didnt get any coursework tho :erm:
    OH wow ! You're so lucky ! Cause for my syllabus (CIE) there is Alternative to coursework and i'm a bit confused about it also i'm worried if geo got math in it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Hanna423)
    Hey guys !

How was IGCSE geography for you guys?
    Was is it HARD / MEDIUM / EASY?

I was thinking if i should take it or not but i'm worried if it has got MATH in it (for the Alternative to coursework of anything) If i'm taking it, i'm planing to teach myself the subject.
    Geography is a quite simple subject to grasp but it depends on which exam board you're using. Most of geography is just fact recall, so if you can do that (just revise very much and make sure you're clear on all the subjects) then you can probably do geography. Some exam boards will want you to know geographical processes in more depth than others, but it is really interesting and can be fairly easy to learn.

One of the main things you will need to learn about is sustainability - this is the most important thing in geography, with whatever topic you are dealing with.

It's definitely an enjoyable subject (I've taken it at A Level, too) and I think it is important to know the things that geography entails; it is valuable for anyone and everyone. Awareness of the world is important, and that's exactly what geography teaches you.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanna423)
    OH wow ! You're so lucky ! Cause for my syllabus (CIE) there is Alternative to coursework and i'm a bit confused about it also i'm worried if geo got math in it
    Never had maths tho . The only maths i got was in the fieldwork section or data analysis. And all i had to do was interpret the results and come to conclusions, there was no right or wrong answer if you justified your answer it should be fine. I dont know if its the same for cia
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Amefish)
    Geography is a quite simple subject to grasp but it depends on which exam board you're using. Most of geography is just fact recall, so if you can do that (just revise very much and make sure you're clear on all the subjects) then you can probably do geography. Some exam boards will want you to know geographical processes in more depth than others, but it is really interesting and can be fairly easy to learn.

One of the main things you will need to learn about is sustainability - this is the most important thing in geography, with whatever topic you are dealing with.

It's definitely an enjoyable subject (I've taken it at A Level, too) and I think it is important to know the things that geography entails; it is valuable for anyone and everyone. Awareness of the world is important, and that's exactly what geography teaches you.

Good luck!
    [EDIT]
    Sorry, I forgot to add - in my coursework we had to do a little bit of maths but it is very simple and you will be talked through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)

Good luck!
    I've just finished year 11 and didn't actually do Geography for GCSE, but a looot of my friends did. From the sounds of it Geography was definitely a hit and miss in my school eventhough there were 4 completely full classes which did Geography. From what my friends have said the course is pretty difficult sheerly through the amount of content which is required to learn and some of my friends did say that a lot of the human geography was pretty boring which hate to say it is quite a lot of the actual geography course rather than landscape etc. Im not sure what board you do but in my school we do WJEC and for Geography my friends ended up having four different exams, one thing to really take into mind when choosing GCSES is the number of exams you will end up with at the end of year 11 as trust me you're better off having less than more - even if you are very good at geography as often than not exams are placed in a very awkward way leaving very little speace to revise inbetween
    I do really recommend talking to the head of departmant about the subject and the way its goes in your school as you may find that it dos really suit your needs or goes completely agains your school work ethic!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.