Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brexit: EU considers migration ‘emergency brake’ for UK for up to seven years - Why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-seven-years

It says: "Plans to allow the United Kingdom an exemption from EU rules on freedom of movement for up to seven years while retaining access to the single market are being considered in European capitals as part of a potential deal on Brexit."

Why do you think they want this kind of deal and do you think it will go this way?

Also, it says how this will mean a break from freedom of movement for the UK, but what does that mean for someone from the UK who wants to leave and go live in another EU country - would they have none of the same rights as someone from an EU country with freedom of movement? And the same goes for anyone from the EU who wants to come to the UK, will they completely stop movement? I am confused about what they actually mean by "break" in regards to the laws. Would we have to apply for visas like non-EU systems? Etc.

Anyway, share your thoughts and be kind

ReputationRep:
    I do like this idea, but everything I've heard so far suggests that they aren't willing to offer such a deal with market access. If they actually do win these kind of concessions, then that's a very good deal indeed.

The impression I had was that there was a red line around single market access that involved free movement.

In my opinion, they need to negotiate with the principle of reciprocity in mind. In other words, Britain gets back from the EU whatever they're willing to put in. If they don't put in free movement, then British people don't get free movement into the EU either. If they put in money for an EU program, they should participate in it.

What I haven't liked about these negotiations so far is the EU ignoring reciprocity and treating free movement as if it were a human right. But if they start to change their tune, then hopefully something good can be worked out that allows the UK to continue participating in the EU.

I was starting to think the UK would be forced to cut all ties with the EU, but they seem to be relenting at least a little bit.

I've heard people say that it's not fair because all the rules apply to all the other member states, but remember that those member states also enjoy all the benefits of the EU. So logically, if the UK only seeks to enjoy some of the benefits of the EU, they should have to pay the cost and bear the burden of reciprocating the benefits they enjoy only. I think the same should go for all other EU states, and that the EU needs significant reform. A federal union of such disparate states isn't something I think will work long-term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippohops)
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-seven-years

It says: "Plans to allow the United Kingdom an exemption from EU rules on freedom of movement for up to seven years while retaining access to the single market are being considered in European capitals as part of a potential deal on Brexit."

Why do you think they want this kind of deal and do you think it will go this way?

Also, it says how this will mean a break from freedom of movement for the UK, but what does that mean for someone from the UK who wants to leave and go live in another EU country - would they have none of the same rights as someone from an EU country with freedom of movement? And the same goes for anyone from the EU who wants to come to the UK, will they completely stop movement? I am confused about what they actually mean by "break" in regards to the laws. Would we have to apply for visas like non-EU systems? Etc.

Anyway, share your thoughts and be kind
    The U.K. Is a tiny place and its overloaded its infrastructure with economic migrants.
    They will be pouring in soon to,get in before the rope is pulled up which will add a bogger burden to the welfare , housing and NHS system.
    Rhemuk amd eu can't reach an agree Tn, so instead of saying no more people from the eu, they have been very very generous bless them, to say. They will restrict the burden of ra few year, but now they will do,that seems k possible, because they would have to deny some.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.