Turn on thread page Beta

What are our rights to remain as EU citizens? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was born in the UK which was part of the EU therefore I regard myself as an EU citizen born and bred in the EU.
    Looking forward to my rights to freely work and live in mainland Europe without having to give up my UK citizenship, enjoying the workers rights, human rights and EU funded education and training for myself and children. That was the beauty of the EU we had dual citizenship.

However 52% of people mostly old people many of whom have retired voted to leave the EU and rob us young people of our EU citizenship and futures. That's real selfish, they've had their careers now we are left with many of our options and hopes taken away by Brexit. That's really selfish!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You are related to fredorjogn?

You are a UK citizen. You are within the EU bu vurtue of the UK being a member of the EU.
    When we Brexit we will no longer be a member. Tights and obligations provided and imposed by the EU cease ro exist.
    If you wnat to remain a member, the switch countries and get a passport for one of the other EU nations.

Your analysis of the voting and whether to respect the decision is rather simplistic. The remain camp lost, just accept it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You are related to fredorjogn?

You are a UK citizen. You are within the EU bu vurtue of the UK being a member of the EU.
    When we Brexit we will no longer be a member. Tights and obligations provided and imposed by the EU cease ro exist.
    If you wnat to remain a member, the switch countries and get a passport for one of the other EU nations.

Your analysis of the voting and whether to respect the decision is rather simplistic. The remain camp lost, just accept it.
    ITIYM "lederhosen and obligations"

Seriously, you are right
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why are you limiting your options to the EU anyway? You'll still be able to work there just like Norwergians and The Swiss do without being members. Also why aren't you looking at options on a more international scale like the US, Cananda, Australia etc?

Your contempt for the older generation is unjustified as well, as they have the same voting rights as you (and you'll have them st that age too), and when you are that age what will you think of the, then younger generation have a go at you for voting a certain way they don't like?

Also remember, those "old people", are the same people who voted us in 41 years ago, so they have seen the EEA/EU for its entire lifespan, so have seen all of the effects.

I can assure you that we will end up in the EEA anyway so in the basis of travel and work nothing will change, and this won't be last vote on the issue in our lifetime.

Then again, I'm entitled to an Irish Passport (and therefore EU citizenship) as well as my UK one

ReputationRep:
    Oh boo hoo. After the first dozen whinging threads like this I gave up caring about any valid points people like you had. Stop crying and go get on with your life. The Prime Minister was on the losing side, you don't see her all desperate and a sore loser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I was born in the UK which was part of the EU therefore I regard myself as an EU citizen born and bred in the EU.
    Looking forward to my rights to freely work and live in mainland Europe without having to give up my UK citizenship, enjoying the workers rights, human rights and EU funded education and training for myself and children. That was the beauty of the EU we had dual citizenship.

However 52% of people mostly old people many of whom have retired voted to leave the EU and rob us young people of our EU citizenship and futures. That's real selfish, they've had their careers now we are left with many of our options and hopes taken away by Brexit. That's really selfish!
    Oh so I'm selfish and so is all of my generation of my family in South-East

ReputationRep:

“Ask for 'EU Membership for Individuals', when negotiating leaving EU.” https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/161459

ReputationRep:
    Because she's not taking the country out.
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Oh boo hoo. After the first dozen whinging threads like this I gave up caring about any valid points people like you had. Stop crying and go get on with your life. The Prime Minister was on the losing side, you don't see her all desperate and a sore loser.

ReputationRep:

The older which you say robbed the future from you is purely incorrect. The older generation knew what the EU did to us in the 1970's it ruined our fishing industry and a few years later out manufacturing industry with the green tax. If you was born in the UK i would of thought you would have the right to remain in the UK, with you parents being EU born citizens you can go and live in Europe, in other words if you don't like the UK and our assertion to get out of the dictatorship (EU) go back to Europe
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

It doesn't matter whether you feel like an EU citizen or not, you are a BRITISH citizen, and only an EU citizen as long as you have a passport validly stating such. The EU is not a state in and of itself yet so you cannot be a natural born citizen of it, simple as that.

Oh, and you'll find the retired were the minority of leave voters

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious to this too. I am fine if Leave voters want to sacrifice their rights but I am not them; I want to keep mine. If anyone has any informantion about this, I would be very grateful.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by elitepower)
    I'm curious to this too. I am fine if Leave voters want to sacrifice their rights but I am not them; I want to keep mine. If anyone has any informantion about this, I would be very grateful.*
    Unless you're entitled to any other citizenship of an EU nation (for example I'm entitled to an Irish one), I'm afraid you have no right to keep any.

Do you have any fully Irish parents or grandparents? I do and that's I'm entitled to Irish Citizenship (and therefore EU citizenship) as well as my UK citizenship.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Democracy, suck it up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Here's your right.... Move to an eu country now whilst we still have free movement or wait until we likely sign an EEA deal with free movement or be good enough to pass the tests to get into an eu country in the highly unlikely event we don't have free movement after leaving

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theplace)
    “Ask for 'EU Membership for Individuals', when negotiating leaving EU.” https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/161459
    19 signatures lol you're a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Democracy, suck it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, and people wonder why Leave voters are considered rude, small minded racist bigots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    Unless you're entitled to any other citizenship of an EU nation (for example I'm entitled to an Irish one), I'm afraid you have no right to keep any.

Do you have any fully Irish parents or grandparents? I do and that's I'm entitled to Irish Citizenship (and therefore EU citizenship) as well as my UK citizenship.
    Not that I know of. Is there any way to change this or extend my rights?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, and people wonder why Leave voters are considered rude, small minded racist bigots
    Racist? Which bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    19 signatures lol you're a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Read this thread if you fancy a laugh.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4226532

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Read this thread if you fancy a laugh.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4226532
    I have it was a joke then and now days or even a week has passed he has managed to get about 1 signature a day. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.