Meizu MX5 vs Vernee Apollo Lite vs Letv Le Max 2 X820

Watch
timiop2008
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am upgrading from the Nexus 4, which has served me well for almost 5 years now, but the time has come to upgrade. I smashed the bottom of the glass on the back of my nexus 4 a few months ago and the touchscreen has been hit and miss ever since.

I'm looking to buy a phone outright, and use it with a sim only contract. After some research I was really looking forward to buying the Meizu MX6, which was announced on Tuesday. However, the MX6 has gone on Presale for $400 online (around £300), way above the $300 price announced by Meizu at the launch even. As $300 (£225ish) is the top end of my budget, I guess that's the MX6 ruled out.*

The other devices I'm interested in are the Meizu MX5 (predecessor to the MX6) (£152 on fastcardtech.com), Vernee Apollo Lite (£166 on everbuying.net), and the Letv Le Max 2 X820 (£224 on fastcardtech.com)

https://www.fastcardtech.com/Meizu-M...oid-Phone.html
http://www.everbuying.net/product116...FZQK0wod_wMAYA
https://www.fastcardtech.com/Letv-Le-Max-2-X820.html

Which of these would anyone suggest/What would you get?
I'm more of a media consumer than a heavy 3D gamer etc., so the IGZO display on the Vernee Apollo Lite is a big plus, but I'm not so keen on the design - although its hard to tell what a phone is going to look like from renders alone.* That said, I really like the Apple-esque design and single button ecosystem of the Meizu MX5, plus it has NFC which the Vernee lacks. The Letv is more expensive but has a more powerful Snapdragon 820 Processor.
longsightdon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nexus 5x 16gb is £169 at carphone warehouse rn. £229 for the 32gb. With your budget, that's what I'd buy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
timiop2008
Rep:
?
(Original post by longsightdon)
Nexus 5x 16gb is £169 at carphone warehouse rn. £229 for the 32gb. With your budget, that's what I'd buy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your input. Yeah it's another I've been considering, especially with the recent price cut, but I want a really nice display as media consumption during my work commute is my primary use. The Vernee Apollo Lite has aSharp IGZO display, and the MX5 has an amoled display. I'm not sure the Nexus 5x's IPS LCD display would be quite on the same level as these, although it does have NFC (unlike the Vernee). Definitely one to consider, but right now I'm still leaning towards the Vernee Apollo Lite or Meizu MX5, I just can't decide which. The Nexus 5x, like the Meizu MX5 also doesn't have a microSD card slot to expand the storage, which could be a factor in my decision. (The Vernee supports MicroSD cards up to 128GB)
longsightdon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by timiop2008)
Thanks for your input. Yeah it's another I've been considering, especially with the recent price cut, but I want a really nice display as media consumption during my work commute is my primary use. The Vernee Apollo Lite has aSharp IGZO display, and the MX5 has an amoled display. I'm not sure the Nexus 5x's IPS LCD display would be quite on the same level as these, although it does have NFC (unlike the Vernee). Definitely one to consider, but right now I'm still leaning towards the Vernee Apollo Lite or Meizu MX5, I just can't decide which. The Nexus 5x, like the Meizu MX5 also doesn't have a microSD card slot to expand the storage, which could be a factor in my decision. (The Vernee supports MicroSD cards up to 128GB)
The display is quite good for the price (1080p). How much storage would you use? Have u taken into account other features of the 5x? It has a stunning camera (I use a 6p which has the same camera module and frankly it's amazing!) And a very fast finger print sensor. I cannot tell you how fast and reliable the fingerprint sensor is (same on 6p). Once you've used a fingerprint sensor on the rear side, its really hard to change habit, the position on the rear is the best position period. It is very very convenient. Furthermore something u ought to remember is the 5x is a nexus. Stock android is smooth and clean, I love it. Stock android > Chinese skins imo but hey that's me. Also android N is coming very soon. 5x is more futureproof.

Posted from TSR Mobile
longsightdon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just did a quick search on reviews for the mx5. 5x in general has much more positive reviews. Reading around the two devices should give you a clear indication of which is better. One example is a score of 8.6 for the 5x and 7.4 for the mx5 on android authority. That difference is quite huge. Check out other reviews from other websites and also reddit. Reddit users are very honest on whether a device is good or not. I'd snap up that 5x rapid before the deal goes, it's a bargain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
timiop2008
Rep:
?
The display is quite good for the price (1080p). How much storage would you use? Have u taken into account other features of the 5x? It has a stunning camera (I use a 6p which has the same camera module and frankly it's amazing!) And a very fast finger print sensor. I cannot tell you how fast and reliable the fingerprint sensor is (same on 6p). Once you've used a fingerprint sensor on the rear side, its really hard to change habit, the position on the rear is the best position period. It is very very convenient. Furthermore something u ought to remember is the 5x is a nexus. Stock android is smooth and clean, I love it. Stock android > Chinese skins imo but hey that's me. Also android N is coming very soon. 5x is more futureproof.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I mentioned displays, I was referring to the display technology, not the resolution. The resolution of all these displays is good (FHD or better). What I meant was the Nexus 5X only has a standard LCD display. Granted It's IPS, so it probably has great viewing angles, but still, it's just a standard LCD panel. The main use for my phone is watching videos during my daily commute, I really would prefer an IGZO or Amoled display technology, which as far as I am aware give more accurate and more vivid colours, deeper blacks, and whiter whites. The difference between a standard LCD display and an IGZO display can be seen quite well in this Android Authority YouTube Video at 1:34mins (when Meizu scrapped the use of IGZO panels in their M3 Note, after using them in the M1 Note and M2 Note)*
The 5X is more futureproof than the Meizu MX5, but the MX5 bootloader is on the verge of being cracked and I am confident Cyanogenmod will be available for the MX5 in the next few months.*
longsightdon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hm, ok. Btw about cyanogenmod - they've fired around 20% of their workforce, some of whom were in the OS development. They've also switched their focus from OS to apps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
timiop2008
Rep:
?
Hm, ok. Btw about cyanogenmod - they've fired around 20% of their workforce, some of whom were in the OS development. They've also switched their focus from OS to apps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went for the Vernee Apollo Lite in Black- ordered it last night from Tomtop (£166) with £12 DHL Priority Shipping (3-6 Days) from their Hong Kong warehouse. It's fairly likely the phone will get stopped by customs, but even allowing for potential customs fees, I should have a great phone for a very good price.*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.88%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.61%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.56%

Watched Threads