what subjects did you take?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
chex
BSc Economics - 34 points

what subjects did you take?

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2008/courses/Economics/L101.htm

Diploma with 38 points including 7 6 6 at Higher level (with 7 in Mathematics)
Reply 3
He asked what grades LSE asked for. I was asked for 34 with 6 at Math HL.

Hrithik, the only reason I can think about for your rejection is that you did not have the correct subjects.
Reply 4
chex
He asked what grades LSE asked for. I was asked for 34 with 6 at Math HL.

Hrithik, the only reason I can think about for your rejection is that you did not have the correct subjects.

You've got an astonishingly low offer there. Any clues as to why you may have received that?

The link above is for the 08/09 academic year.
Reply 5
I'm interested as well.. How the hell did you get such a low offer?
Reply 6
Wai``Hou!
I'm interested as well.. How the hell did you get such a low offer?

BxxxSxxx perhaps?
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure that wasn't BS.
LSE sometimes do give out low offers to exceptionally good applicants.
Knogle
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2008/courses/Economics/L101.htm

Diploma with 38 points including 7 6 6 at Higher level (with 7 in Mathematics)

I am surprised that 38 pts is the offer for BSc Econs. A friend of mine who is doing BSc Zoology at Imperial was also offered 38 pts for the IB, which we agree is a bit too high.
Reply 9
spencer11111
I am surprised that 38 pts is the offer for BSc Econs. A friend of mine who is doing BSc Zoology at Imperial was also offered 38 pts for the IB, which we agree is a bit too high.

38 for L101 seems reasonable. But for Zoology? Uh. :p:
Reply 10
I also think 38 is reasonable for Economics but the 7 in HL Maths is definitely unfair. This is when you compare it to the A-level requirement of an A in single maths. For example, someone I know got an A in A-level maths in 7 months whilst getting a 6 in IB Maths SL over the two year course.

Luckily I got in this year and was asked for a 6, which I got :p: .
Reply 11
Maybe coz I'm an international, or my school's extraordinary CAS program. If you think it's bull**** that's your problem - keep on thinking it; I don't need affirmation from anyone on this forum.

Asking for 7 at Math HL is unfair, according to friends, during the 3 years of Econ at LSE they never did any Math more complex than what they did in Math HL, they even used their IB notes to study for 3rd year exams.

Like I said before, the only way I can see you being rejected with predicted 38 is if you did not have the right subjects.
spencer11111

Does your friend have home status for fees?
Reply 13
CGFB
I also think 38 is reasonable for Economics but the 7 in HL Maths is definitely unfair. This is when you compare it to the A-level requirement of an A in single maths. For example, someone I know got an A in A-level maths in 7 months whilst getting a 6 in IB Maths SL over the two year course.

Luckily I got in this year and was asked for a 6, which I got :p: .

Blame in on grade-inflation in the British 'A' level system (which is becoming more of a joke as each year passes, really). :wink:
shady lane
Does your friend have home status for fees?

Nope, overseas fees.
Knogle
Blame in on grade-inflation in the British 'A' level system (which is becoming more of a joke as each year passes, really). :wink:

They are adding an A* grade and there's AEA papers in place. I don't think the GCE A level system is a joke at all. It is a good system.
Knogle
38 for L101 seems reasonable. But for Zoology? Uh. :p:

.......... What are you trying to say .............
He's saying that 38 points for a degree in Zoology, even at Imperial, is too high. It doesn't seem like it would be oversubscribed, and it's not extremely desired by employers outside of a few fields.
shady lane
He's saying that 38 points for a degree in Zoology, even at Imperial, is too high. It doesn't seem like it would be oversubscribed, and it's not extremely desired by employers outside of a few fields.

Almost every course is over-subscribed, but just to varying extent. Yup, 38 pts for Zoology is a bit too high; the standard is 36.
Reply 19
spencer11111
They are adding an A* grade and there's AEA papers in place. I don't think the GCE A level system is a joke at all. It is a good system.

How about tightening scoring requirements and not making a mockery out of the system? Ten years ago, AAAA was ridiculously difficult to achieve. Hardly so these days.

It won't be long before they introduce A**s and UAEAs (Ultra-Advanced ...).

Latest

Trending

Trending