Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My local Lush shop have put up this flier advertising for seasonal sales assistance applications over the Christmas period. However, they say that applicants should be experienced in one or more roles requiring face to face contact with a customer. I have never had a customer service role before. The only work experience I have, is working as a teaching assistant in a primary school. Would it still be worth applying?

ReputationRep:
    It would be less likely you would gt the job tbh. But it's always worth a try so go ahead!

Goodluck

(Original post by loveleest)
    It would be less likely you would gt the job tbh. But it's always worth a try so go ahead!

Goodluck
    Thank you! Have you ever got a job, despite lacking the requested amount of experience?

ReputationRep:
    If you lack experience and cannot find paid work
    Try volunteering in a retail store maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    My local Lush shop have put up this flier advertising for seasonal sales assistance applications over the Christmas period. However, they say that applicants should be experienced in one or more roles requiring face to face contact with a customer. I have never had a customer service role before. The only work experience I have, is working as a teaching assistant in a primary school. Would it still be worth applying?
    Few customers are as demanding as primary school children. Give it a go. You've nothing to lose.

(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Few customers are as demanding as primary school children. Give it a go. You've nothing to lose.
    Thanks, I'll certainly give it a go. Have you ever heard of someone managing to get a job, despite lacking the requested amount of experience?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's no harm in trying. I've gotten two retail jobs with no prior experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll certainly give it a go. Have you ever heard of someone managing to get a job, despite lacking the requested amount of experience?
    I'm sure thousands of people do, given that everyone has to start somewhere. Don't spend too much time agonising over it. If you need a job, you may have to apply to lots of places anyway. Make a start now.

(Original post by Edminzodo)
    There's no harm in trying. I've gotten two retail jobs with no prior experience.
    Thank you. Did those jobs specify that applicants should have prior experience in their job description?

(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I'm sure thousands of people do, given that everyone has to start somewhere. Don't spend too much time agonising over it. If you need a job, you may have to apply to lots of places anyway. Make a start now.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm sure you are right.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you. Did those jobs specify that applicants should have prior experience in their job description?

Thanks fir the encouragement! I'm sure you are right.
    They didn't say, but there were applicants with retail experience.

They didn't say, but there were applicants with retail experience.
    That's encouraging, anyway. You must have been an impressive candidate! Not sure I can claim to be that, but perhaps I'll get lucky
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's encouraging, anyway. You must have been an impressive candidate! Not sure I can claim to be that, but perhaps I'll get lucky
    Not really, ha ha, I just read up on the process (I had to do a group interview, a test and another interview with the manager). Drop me a PM if you want to chat!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, ha ha, I just read up on the process (I had to do a group interview, a test and another interview with the manager). Drop me a PM if you want to chat!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! That's really kind of you. I will definitely take you up on that offer if I get to the interview stage as I will need some advice on that. Currently, I don't think I have much hope of getting through to that but all I can do now is cross my fingers and hope they like my CV and covering letter!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks! That's really kind of you. I will definitely take you up on that offer if I get to the interview stage as I will need some advice on that. Currently, I don't think I have much hope of getting through to that but all I can do now is cross my fingers and hope they like my CV and covering letter!
    No problem, and best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Imagine being a teaching assistant is customer facing - then only present the over-lapping bits in your CV. There should be enough there to begin an application. Then look at other aspects of your life and work out how those might be likened to 'customer facing' ie performances, presentations, handling money, serving tea to old folk during DofE service etc etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Absolutely apply if you're interested. Pretty much every job likes you to have experience but you need to start somewhere. It might be the deciding factor that means you don't get the job, but you definitely won't get the job if you don't apply.

No problem, and best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks again!

(Original post by threeportdrift)
    Imagine being a teaching assistant is customer facing - then only present the over-lapping bits in your CV. There should be enough there to begin an application. Then look at other aspects of your life and work out how those might be likened to 'customer facing' ie performances, presentations, handling money, serving tea to old folk during DofE service etc etc.
    Thank you. I will definitely try to emphasise the interaction involved in being a teaching assistant as you're right, it does involve some similar interpersonal skills. I'm not sure I can really fit anything else into that box though, I'm afraid. I've never volunteered, I'm ashamed to say and I didn't do DofE. The only other "work" I have done is babysitting but I'm not sure that would be appropriate to mention.

(Original post by Acsel)
    Absolutely apply if you're interested. Pretty much every job likes you to have experience but you need to start somewhere. It might be the deciding factor that means you don't get the job, but you definitely won't get the job if you don't apply.
    Thanks, you are right. I can only give it a go and see what happens!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.