Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it good for you to exercise more or less straight after you've got dressed in the morning?

Ie, get up, go to the gym after a drink of water?

Or is it better to have a breakfast first then exercise?

Ta.

ReputationRep:
    I normally have breakfast, wait for an hour or so then go. It's not done me any harm.

(Original post by Insincere Dave)
    Is it good for you to exercise more or less straight after you've got dressed in the morning?

Ie, get up, go to the gym after a drink of water?

Or is it better to have a breakfast first then exercise?

Ta.
    Get up, eat, kill 1 hour, 1/2 gypsy chasing, 1/2 scratching balls, gym

ReputationRep:
    just to jump on to this thread - i dont really have an hr to sit about digesting of a morning before running. Could i get up, eat say a banana, run, come home get ready, eat a proper breakfast then go to work - or will i just puke the banana straight back up?

Actually to add to that - am I meant to be feeling sick when i fartlec train?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis07)
    just to jump on to this thread - i dont really have an hr to sit about digesting of a morning before running. Could i get up, eat say a banana, run, come home get ready, eat a proper breakfast then go to work - or will i just puke the banana straight back up?

Actually to add to that - am I meant to be feeling sick when i fartlec train?
    I always find it hard to do any exercise if I eat and don't wait for it to digest. But that may just be me.

ReputationRep:
    Not heavy exercise no. In the morning you are low on carbs so you have very little to work with. You can do a light run or something but nothing really heavy on an empty stomach.

ReputationRep:
    always 2 hours in between exercises and meals for me

ReputationRep:
    Oh it's so hard to exercise in the morning where I live! Freezing atm, which doesn't help

I soo need to get rid of the weight I gained during my QLD holiday

ReputationRep:
    I find its a lot harder. Even if you have a good brekfest, I still find i feel a bit drained after a night's kip, in hunger terms that is. I always find the best time for me is the evening if ive only been studying or dossing round all day. Nothing worse if you run out of steam jogging in the morning. Your miles from home and its bloody freezing. You're never the same once youve had a rest break either.

ReputationRep:
    It works for Cutler

ReputationRep:
    Having read all of those im going scientific with a suck it and see approach. If it makes me sick i won't do it anymore, otherwise I'll stick with it!

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do is take on abotu 100g of oats late the night before just before bed to give you some complex carbohydrate. Most of this will carryover to the morning. Otherwise your energy levels are too low to perform at your max.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with spanner, but i think eating in the evening casues weight gain, though if your exercising it off in the morning it might counter it.

ReputationRep:
    If you are strength training, then it's vital to have some food beforehand - when you wake up, you have no glycogen (energy) in your muscles, therefore you will struggle to lift your usual weights. You need food to replenish your glycogen stores.

As for cardio, opinion is split on this. Some say it is a good idea to run in a fasted state, some say you should consume some protein to help protect your muscle mass, and some say that you should only perform low-intensity cardio in a fasted state, as your body doesn't have the time to oxidise fat cells and instead burns muscle when you are performing high-intensity cardio on an empty stomach. I guess you will just have to find out what works for you.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.