Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Meds mean fat admin worker, no meds means slim with hobbies but unemployed. What now? watch

ReputationRep:
    What should I do?If I take my psychiatric meds, the only benefit I can see is that they allow me to hold my basic admin job (which I hate and find galling given that I finished top of a high school where most people go on to be professionals).They make me fat and uninterested in any hobbies.If I don't take them, I will be unable to go to work so will be unemployed, but will be able to focus on hobbies and will exercise loads and get slim. I have a guitar and piano I enjoy when I can focus on them. I like drawing and studying. I like playing my videogames. I like reading.I think I feel better off than on them, but it's far from easy off or on them.What should I do, if I were being selfish?Would I have more hope of a fulfilling relationship on or off them? I imagine there's little hope either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jojohnson12345)
    What should I do?If I take my psychiatric meds, the only benefit I can see is that they allow me to hold my basic admin job (which I hate and find galling given that I finished top of a high school where most people go on to be professionals).They make me fat and uninterested in any hobbies.If I don't take them, I will be unable to go to work so will be unemployed, but will be able to focus on hobbies and will exercise loads and get slim. I have a guitar and piano I enjoy when I can focus on them. I like drawing and studying. I like playing my videogames. I like reading.I think I feel better off than on them, but it's far from easy off or on them.What should I do, if I were being selfish?Would I have more hope of a fulfilling relationship on or off them? I imagine there's little hope either way.
    I know there's no certainty that it would work this way if you did this but what about...
    Lowering the dose of meds... Do you reckon it might make you a little closer to you off meds? If so then maybe go part time at work so you can do the other stuff outside of work? I know that's a kind of clutching at straws answer though!

Also maybe you could look for a different job that you prefer it doesn't have to be a high powered professional job... What are your hobbies and interests that you like when you're not on meds?

ReputationRep:
    Just get a different job then.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    See if you can change meds?

ReputationRep:
    What medication are you taking and for what purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As I said in reply to your other post, I don't think your med combination is the cause of any significant weight gain :nah: That said, it sounds like your Sertraline dose needs adjusting or you need to find another AD :yes:

An ability to earn your own money will lead to better prospects all-round in the long-run, imho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.