Turn on thread page Beta

Can bilinguals think in their weaker language? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So if someone was bilingual in English and Spanish, with English being the stronger language, could they think in Spanish as well?

ReputationRep:
    ur the OP from threads like these: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4197989 aren't you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    ur the OP from threads like these: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4197989 aren't you.
    No?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it will be harder obviously if they're things you want to say but don't know the word for in your other language you'll probably just convert to your dominant one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Yes but it will be harder obviously if they're things you want to say but don't know the word for in your other language you'll probably just convert to your dominant one.
    So these bilinguals can think in 2 languages?
    • Section Leader
    • Answer Heroes
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I can't think in Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    My native language is Urdu, but I always think in English (which is my second language). However, I don't think English is my 'weaker' language. I grew up reading English-language books, watching English movies and TV shows, studying in an English-language school, etc., so I think my English might actually be better than my Urdu at this point!

I also speak two other languages at an intermediate level but I can't think in them (unless I really force myself to). So I'm guessing you need to have a certain level of fluency in a language in order to be able to think in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I can't think in Welsh.
    You can or you can't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twz)
    No?
    I'm fairly sure you are based on the style of your posts. Why do you feel the need to make so many threads/even accounts about this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure you are based on the style of your posts. Why do you feel the need to make so many threads/even accounts about this?
    I see, I was reading one of his threads before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5audade)
    My native language is Urdu, but I always think in English (which is my second language). However, I don't think English is my 'weaker' language. I grew up reading English-language books, watching English movies and TV shows, studying in an English-language school, etc., so I think my English might actually be better than my Urdu at this point!

I also speak two other languages at an intermediate level but I can't think in them (unless I really force myself to). So I'm guessing you need to have a certain level of fluency in a language in order to be able to think in it.
    Can you think in Urdu?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you think in any language, but I can certainly have an internal monologue in either English or French so I would consider myself bilingual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    I don't think you think in any language, but I can certainly have an internal monologue in either English or French so I would consider myself bilingual.
    So you can think in 2 languages?

ReputationRep:
    I did Spanish a level, I can think in Spanish but just like my Spanish is not perfect neither are my thoughts. It's a lot easier to think in English though

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter? It's a question and the user doesn't need to hounded for asking one (or several).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twz)
    So if someone was bilingual in English and Spanish, with English being the stronger language, could they think in Spanish as well?
    Yes. It is possible but it'll be a little more difficult, especially if it isn't their mother language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    I did Spanish a level, I can think in Spanish but just like my Spanish is not perfect neither are my thoughts. It's a lot easier to think in English though
    But thinking in spanish would be difficult, given you studied spanish at an older age?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I speak 3 langauges and I mainly think in english because it is the one I speak in the most.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.