The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Postgraduate accommodation

Hi! I'd like to ask when will the uni start informing postgraduate students about whether we have a place in the residence halls or not. I'm sorry, I know you've already answered similar questions, but I've only found replies regarding undergraduates and I'm not sure if it works the same for everyone.
Thank you!
Original post by catiar
Hi! I'd like to ask when will the uni start informing postgraduate students about whether we have a place in the residence halls or not. I'm sorry, I know you've already answered similar questions, but I've only found replies regarding undergraduates and I'm not sure if it works the same for everyone.
Thank you!

I can't say for RH specifically, but generally much later than for undergrad. Postgrad admissions are much more volatile than undergrad. For undergrads, once results are out you can be pretty sure who is coming and who isn't. Undergrads are generally given priority over in-house/on-site accommodation and so they get that sorted first. Postgrads are much more 'vague' over taking up offers, so the later you leave it as an Accommodation office, the more likely you are to get it right first time and not have to make endless changes.

Frankly, I wouldn't expect to get confirmation of any room until early Sep and a specific room until I turned up for the start of term. So long as you know you will get some Uni accommodation and won't have to go to the commercial market, then the day you turn up is when it usually sorts itself out. So read the literature you have so far about the certainty of 'any' university accommodation but chasing that up may not deliver results until after the undergrad season - depending on the housing stock any particular Uni has.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by catiar
Thank you!

I can't say for RH specifically, but generally much later than for undergrad. Postgrad admissions are much more volatile than undergrad. For undergrads, once results are out you can be pretty sure who is coming and who isn't. Undergrads are generally given priority over in-house/on-site accommodation and so they get that sorted first. Postgrads are much more 'vague' over taking up offers, so the later you leave it as an Accommodation office, the more likely you are to get it right first time and not have to make endless changes.

Frankly, I wouldn't expect to get confirmation of any room until early Sep and a specific room until I turned up for the start of term. So long as you know you will get some Uni accommodation and won't have to go to the commercial market, then the day you turn up is when it usually sorts itself out. So read the literature you have so far about the certainty of 'any' university accommodation but chasing that up may not deliver results until after the undergrad season - depending on the housing stock any particular Uni has.
Original post by catiar
Thank you!

Hello, I asked this very question to the uni a few months ago and they anticipated middle to end of july. But i have emailed them yesterday asking if they have an updated ETA, so will update here with what they say :smile:
Hello, I asked this very question to the uni a few months ago and they anticipated middle to end of july. But i have emailed them yesterday asking if they have an updated ETA, so will update here with what they say :smile:
Original post by catiar
Thank you!

Hi there,

I'm afraid that I can't give you an exact date, although we anticipate that we will begin to allocate postgraduate accommodation within the next couple of weeks.

Camilla :smile:
Original post by catiar
Thank you!

Hi there,

I'm afraid that I can't give you an exact date, although we anticipate that we will begin to allocate postgraduate accommodation within the next couple of weeks.

Reply 9
Original post by threeportdrift

Thank you for the info!!
Reply 10
Original post by steveormandy

Thank you! I'll be waiting then :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there,

Alright, thank you!
Hi All,

Just a quick update regarding accommodation...

Unfortunately, we have experienced some technical difficulties in our system which has resulted in the delay in allocating accommodation.

We are pleased to say that these have now been resolved, and we anticipate allocating Undergraduate accommodation by the end of this week, and looking at Postgraduate accommodation next week.

Sorry for the delay - but the wait is almost over!

Hi Camilla, I wanted to know if you have an update on postgraduate accommodation.

Also on average, how many postgraduate students fail to be allocated a house and end up having to arrange their own accommodation :smile:
Original post by SimplyBisa
Hi Camilla, I wanted to know if you have an update on postgraduate accommodation.

Also on average, how many postgraduate students fail to be allocated a house and end up having to arrange their own accommodation :smile:

When did you apply for accommodation? You should have received an email from us informing you of the outcome of your application. If this is not the case, and you applied more than a week ago, please can you private message me your full name and Student ID number so that I can look into this for you?

When did you apply for accommodation? You should have received an email from us informing you of the outcome of your application. If this is not the case, and you applied more than a week ago, please can you private message me your full name and Student ID number so that I can look into this for you?

Student room wont let me send you a private message. I have tried calling the student services, but the line is busy. I will drop an email to the student services right now. I am so worried that I wont have accommodation :cry2:
Student room wont let me send you a private message. I have tried calling the student services, but the line is busy. I will drop an email to the student services right now. I am so worried that I wont have accommodation :cry2:

Please can you try private messaging me again now?
Please can you try private messaging me again now?

It's still not working. Everytime I try to PM it says:

"Royal Holloway, University of London has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Have you got a number or email I can send my student id to?
It's still not working. Everytime I try to PM it says:

"Royal Holloway, University of London has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Have you got a number or email I can send my student id to?

Hey,

Sorry about this. This should be cleared now, but if you're still having issues you can email me at [email protected]

Camilla

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending