Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On Times on line - university guide - I noticed the entry standards for Economics for the Cambridge is 537 points. Does this mean all the offers were to the students who took 4-A levels (w/ A grade ) and fifth AS (w/ A grade)! I am still trying to understand the UK education system and hence advise / feedback will be appreciated. I further confused by Cambridge website - which states std offer for Economics is AAA. Is the minmum? - while AAAAa is reality?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge don't use the UCAS points system for entry, they make offers based on specific grades. The figure of 537 points quoted by the Times guide is probably the average score that people get, and is quoted so that you can compare the standard with other univiersities.

The standard offer is AAA. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes, though, they add on other conditions such as AEAs and so on, but it's normally three A's.

ReputationRep:
    Three As is the norm. Its not the minimum; you do have exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah don't worry about it. It means that the average number of UCAS points that Cam Economics students achieve is 537, NOT what they NEED to get. They will usually only ever ask for AAA. If you would have less, in equivilent measures, than this, it's not a big problem providing it is comparable to AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. But something to think about is UCL's standard offer is also AAA but thier average score 447 ! For the same standard offer - Cambridge has students with higher points (90 points !) as compared to those of UCL. So just on the face of it -it appears Cambridge tend to offer students with higher UCAS points students. Am I getting this wrong? It is hard for me to accept that students with higher Tariffs tend to write better PS or give better interviews?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should just not worry about the UCAS points. Cambridge looks at the breakdown of your subject modules and the UMS marks for each paper, so somebody with a higher A might look better than somebody with a borderline A, but I doubt they perform better in interviews or write better statements.

ReputationRep:
    Nope you're getting it right. Theoretically Cambridge students should be of a higher standard than UCL students (although I appreciate this quite often isn't the case) and so they often take extra A levels that give them more points, even though they aren't actually needed. And yes, it is possible I suppose that Cambridge applicants with higher points possibly would write better personal statements/interview better, but that's a large generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how the Times is limiting which UCAS points they're counting, but if there is no limitation then musical grades are also taken into account. Basically, anything beyond the 420 points you get for AAAa is more or less irrelevant.

That the average Cambridge economist got 537 points and UCL economist 447 only provies to my mind that the average Cambridge economist takes more A-levels, and not an awful lot else.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are more worried about UMS than UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    Still confused -as offers are made before A results are out. So A level -UMS are out of the selection criteria. Does this mean AS level UMS points only? If this is the case does this also mean students with better UMS tend to have higher UCAS points? Probably this may be case? Any thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    The UCAS points quoted in The Times are those amassed from A2, any AS floating around, music exams, key skills and even horse riding and are totted up after the A2 results (or anytime actually) and are not the basis of Oxbridge or other top uni entry- however as you can see Oxbridge is full of people with a lot of UCAS points!

Cambridge ask for and look at your AS UMS marks as part of their overall assessment. Aim for 90%+ although people often get in with less.

It's potential they are after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnshan)
    Still confused -as offers are made before A results are out. So A level -UMS are out of the selection criteria. Does this mean AS level UMS points only? If this is the case does this also mean students with better UMS tend to have higher UCAS points? Probably this may be case? Any thoughts.
    The more UMS you have the better the grade you get and thus the more UCAS points you get up to the maximum for each grade eg 120 for an A2 'A' 100 for 'B' etc. http://www.ucas.com/candq/tariff/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnshan)
    are you stupid?

it's the entry standard, not the offer! use a little common sense here, why oh why would they ask people to get precisely 537 points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewwy)
    are you stupid?
    He doesn't seem it. ^o) The system is not self-explanatory to a person entering it from a different country. There are an awful amount of different point systems flying about. He's just clarifying.

ReputationRep:
    rnshan, basically (as others have kind of said), the *offer* given by Cambridge is usually AAA. That is to say, it doesn't matter what surrounds that (i.e. what school you go to; how many other exams you are taking; whether or not you play a musical instrument; whether your A-grade is a high or low one [measured by UMS marks]). What's needed is normally simply AAA.

Where the UCAS Tariff comes in is because lots of people take *more* than 3 A Levels, and every qualification carries a certain number of UCAS points. So someone taking 6 A Levels will naturally have more UCAS points than someone only taking 3. Cambridge, however, does not give offers based on points (lots of other universities do, though). That the average Cambridge tariff is much higher than elsewhere is quite simply because Cambridge students have a very academic background - so they're more likely to do a higher number of qualifications. This does not effect the offers, which normally remain at AAA.
    The reason AAA is standard (at the moment) is because at some schools (such as my own, actually!) it is expected that you will only take 3 A Levels. At lots of private schools, it's expected that you will take 4 or 5. It would be unfair of the University to disadvantage students who went to a school that expected less, so they stick with the minimum of 3.
    (Of course, if someone is taking 4 A Levels, the University might ask for 4 As. But someone only doing 3 A Levels will not be discriminated against).

Hope that explains it a bit!

Chewwy,
    are you stupid?
    That's not helpful. Shut up.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all - who took thier precious time to clarify and help. Well for the others - I guess they need help too.!

ReputationRep:
    I find those points scores a little dubious as I'm not sure how they are calculating them. I've never told anyone my music grades I don't think or anything else that might add up on UCAS points. 537 is an awfully high average when you think that most people will be around 420 or 480 (AAAa or AAAA). I also doubt the university bothers to collate UCAS tariff point data.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parkerpen)
    I find those points scores a little dubious as I'm not sure how they are calculating them. I've never told anyone my music grades I don't think or anything else that might add up on UCAS points. 537 is an awfully high average when you think that most people will be around 420 or 480 (AAAa or AAAA). I also doubt the university bothers to collate UCAS tariff point data.
    UCAS automatically does it as all the results are collated by them (including music grades etc). So 4 A A2 and an A AS plus chuck in a grade8 music pass and a couple of Key Skills and you are soon up to 600+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mom1)
    UCAS automatically does it as all the results are collated by them (including music grades etc). So 4 A A2 and an A AS plus chuck in a grade8 music pass and a couple of Key Skills and you are soon up to 600+
    Ah OK I didn't know UCAS kept centralised records, which explains the high results. I still find it a bit doubtful to an extent (ie a lot of people won't declare stuf that counts for UCAS tariff becuase they won't realise). Say the average student has 450 (ie 50% of students have AAAA and half have AAAa) that is still a lot of points to make up.

ReputationRep:
    I've just worked out my UCAS points, and am surprised - it's extremely easy to clock up a lot of points very quickly, so 500+ for an Oxbridge student doesn't surprise me in the slightest - including A Levels, AEAs & music exams, I'm already at 800 points - and I'm definitely not the most qualified person amoungst my friends! That 537 average is looking more and more convincing.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.