Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I'd really like to study some joint maths/economics courses, as for whatever reason I don't really fancy doing either of those courses purely by themselves.

I was just wondering the difference between a joint maths and economics course and a financial mathematics course, and the +ve and -ve of each.

Thaanks a bunch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1g Al)
    Hiya,
    I'd really like to study some joint maths/economics courses, as for whatever reason I don't really fancy doing either of those courses purely by themselves.

I was just wondering the difference between a joint maths and economics course and a financial mathematics course, and the +ve and -ve of each.

Thaanks a bunch
    From what I have gathered after looking at the structure of some financial mathematics courses is that Maths and/with Economics seems more versatile. Sure, you won't take the applied part of maths into finance as far as you would on a financial mathematics course but you will hold a Mathematics and/with Economics degree which is pretty much as valuable if not more so.
    I think you should go with the joint maths course if you enjoy maths and are not into it just for the financial applications it has. These joint courses still have a hefty amount of pure maths (good thing is you won't do too much obnoxiously difficult and yet theoretical [therefore rather useless] material).
    Hope this helps but have a think yourself, look at uni courses and compare the modules they teach.

ReputationRep:
    Will vary between institutions but in my experience the Financial Mathematics is just a maths degree with your 2nd and 3rd year choices made up for you (i.e all the stochastic calculus modules), whereas the joint degrees are 50/50 split and will involve a lot more economics theory and written exams. Of course that view represents one in a hundred or so institutions, so you'll have to research it in more detail.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.