Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there fellow TS Room-mates!

I've enrolled for a Master's in Biomedical Sciences this fall.
    Who else is down for the same?
    I've got my accommodation set at Maclay's.
    It would be nice to meet a few people before the journey begins!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've actually just been given an offer for this course at Glasgow and I'm trying to choose between it and at Strathclyde. Just wondering what made you choose this this course. Either way I'd be living in Partick and I'd be great to meet people before the course kicks off

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!
    A week later, it really was a welcome surprise to get reply!
    Well I've gone for the Molecular Genetics branch specification and I opted for it since I've been wanting to learn more about gene regulation and the like. And well from the list of universities that I'd applied to and received offers from, this one was the most interesting.

How about you?
    Oh and are you from Scotland? I'm actually an international student from India.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see, I'm actually kind of interested in that too. Yes, I'm from a little bit south of Glasgow and I've been living in the city for a few years now. I'm still not 100% sure which course I'll end up going for at the moment but I've got a pretty broad group of interests

ReputationRep:
    That's nice!
    Well do post in here if you do finally decide on going to UoG.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering if you could help, I was planning on studying medicine next year but I don't think I have the grades so I was going to then study biomedical sciences, but I don't really have any work experience for biomedical sciences only medicine. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Maude-sarah, sorry for the late reply, I was travelling. But I actually ended up doing a degree in biomedical sciences before studying medicine for a few years. In the end I stopped studying medicine (besides the point). Anyway, it's a really great degree and gives you a good head start in learning about how science relates to clinical practice.

In terms of any recommendations I could give, especially if you won't get the school grades is to just really get involved with everything at uni. Most universities require a 2:1 or a 1st from postgraduates, especially if the student might not have the high school grades. Get involved with societies, both academic ones and personal interest ones too. Don't be afraid to run for committee positions, they usually look really good on applications. Also keep up with caring volunteering and work experience opportunities so you will have plenty to talk about in your application/interviews. I'd also recommend you think really hard about which university you want to go to. Some courses are accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS) and some aren't. This is usually because the accredited courses are more practical and direct you towards a career in biomedical sciences (usually NHS) while the unaccredited ones tend to be more broad and have a few more options like research but bear in mind it is very difficult to get your degree accredited after you have finished it. Both are suitable for applying to medicine. I'm not sure which universities are accredited but I went to Aberdeen which wasn't. So ultimately I's recommend you apply to one which is accredited as it means if your first application after biomed is unsuccessful or you no longer wish to do medicine there are plenty of options for you.

Best of luck with your application and let me know if there's anything I can do. I really hope you enjoy biomedical sciences and medicine

ReputationRep:
    Hello TartanPaint, I am looking to also apply for biomedicine in a few months time, and was wondering how difficult was it to apply for medicine after graduating from your biomedical degree?

Thanks,
    Conor

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.