Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a recent maths graduate with a very high first in mathematics (MMath) from a top university (not Oxbridge though).

I was looking into banking (not necessarily IB) graduate schemes and possibly consulting. Unfortunately I don't have any internship experience or many club/society extracurricular activities (although I did win awards for my grades, and taught a group of first years in my last year at university).

I was looking for advice on how to craft my applications given my lack of experience, and was also wondering when graduate programmes open as I can't find dates online. Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArceusJam)
    I am a recent maths graduate with a very high first in mathematics (MMath) from a top university (not Oxbridge though).

I was looking into banking (not necessarily IB) graduate schemes and possibly consulting. Unfortunately I don't have any internship experience or many club/society extracurricular activities (although I did win awards for my grades, and taught a group of first years in my last year at university).

I was looking for advice on how to craft my applications given my lack of experience, and was also wondering when graduate programmes open as I can't find dates online. Thanks!
    Can you expand on what you mean by 'banking'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    By banking I mean a job in a bank which is relatively front office, but not necessarily the investment banking division, but I'm flexible.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArceusJam)
    By banking I mean a job in a bank which is relatively front office, but not necessarily the investment banking division, but I'm flexible.
    That's still way too vague. Which divisions particularly? If it's anything FO, you'll be out of luck if you decide to apply for grad with no experience whatsoever. I'd recommend applying to internship programmes. Back office or middle office, sure go ahead but it'd still be tough.

Consulting tends to be more receptive to grad hires v intern to grad converters, but you'd be at a big disadvantage having nothing on your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.