Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hola, I'm looking at getting myself some bluetooth headphones.

I currently have a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs which are ok, very comfy, great in lows and mids, but I find really lacking in higher frequencies (nasty ringing/harshness) and the cable is ridiculously long so constantly gets caught on stuff. Ideally I'd like whatever I get to sound better, bearing in mind that I'm only listening to Spotify at 320Kb/s on my iPhone, so I doubt that bluetooth will be too detrimental to sound quality. Due to being on iOS, a lack of APT-x isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice for using with my laptop every now and then.

I've made an Amazon list of the different models I've been looking at so far, which you can find here; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/...cm_wl_list_o_2

Most important to me are sound quality and comfort, followed by battery and fancy stuff like ANC.

I'm not really willing to go above the QC35 price-wise (I'm sure someone would recommend Momentums ).

Thanks in advance,

Lewis
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Only ever used one pair of wireless earphones myself, they were terrible. Uncomfortable and poor battery life.

What I chose instead was an older model of this.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...EO-RG920BBEGUS

Rather than buying wireless headphones it turns normal headphones into wireless using an adapter. I found this to be far more practical personally and didn't require any new headphones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis A)
    Hola, I'm looking at getting myself some bluetooth headphones.

I currently have a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs which are ok, very comfy, great in lows and mids, but I find really lacking in higher frequencies (nasty ringing/harshness) and the cable is ridiculously long so constantly gets caught on stuff. Ideally I'd like whatever I get to sound better, bearing in mind that I'm only listening to Spotify at 320Kb/s on my iPhone, so I doubt that bluetooth will be too detrimental to sound quality. Due to being on iOS, a lack of APT-x isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice for using with my laptop every now and then.

I've made an Amazon list of the different models I've been looking at so far, which you can find here; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/...cm_wl_list_o_2

Most important to me are sound quality and comfort, followed by battery and fancy stuff like ANC.

I'm not really willing to go above the QC35 price-wise (I'm sure someone would recommend Momentums ).

Thanks in advance,

Lewis
    For the best overall sound quality in your price range, I would take the B&O H7, which are currently within your budget in the grey colour scheme on Amazon (the black ones are just under £300 too).

*https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...words=b%26o+h7

If you want the best combination of sound quality, wireless performance and ANC ability, I would take the QC35s.

If you're a basshead, check out the VMODA Crossfade Wireless.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    For the best overall sound quality in your price range, I would take the B&O H7, which are currently within your budget in the grey colour scheme on Amazon (the black ones are just under £300 too).

*https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...words=b%26o+h7

If you want the best combination of sound quality, wireless performance and ANC ability, I would take the QC35s.

If you're a basshead, check out the VMODA Crossfade Wireless.*
    Thanks, would you say that the B&Os are worth the extra £100 or so more than some Parrot Ziks?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I quite like the beats wireless one all of themxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, would you say that the B&Os are worth the extra £100 or so more than some Parrot Ziks?
    I personally dislike the Ziks, they focussed solely on design and cramming as much tech into a headphone without actually making them sound particularly good. They aren't worthy of consideration if sound quality is the most important thing to you, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I personally dislike the Ziks, they focussed solely on design and cramming as much tech into a headphone without actually making them sound particularly good. They aren't worthy of consideration if sound quality is the most important thing to you, in my opinion.
    Ok, to give a less gimmicky example, how about the Bose Soundlinks or Sony MDR10s? Sorry to pester you! 😂

ReputationRep:
    Ok, to give a less gimmicky example, how about the Bose Soundlinks or Sony MDR10s? Sorry to pester you! 😂
    In my opinion yes, the improvements are worth it. Diminishing returns don't kick in with wireless headphones until a lot later than wired ones- getting wireless audio transmission to sound good is expensive. If you did want to spend less though, the Sony's are a solid pair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    In my opinion yes, the improvements are worth it. Diminishing returns don't kick in with wireless headphones until a lot later than wired ones- getting wireless audio transmission to sound good is expensive. If you did want to spend less though, the Sony's are a solid pair.
    Great, thanks. I guess with the Bose you're mostly paying for the brand? I've found them for about £170. Last question I promise!

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks. I guess with the Bose you're mostly paying for the brand? I've found them for about £170. Last question I promise!
    Yes and no. The drivers (the moving diaphragms that actually produce sound) Bose use in their headphones are nothing spectacular, they aren't bad but they're overshadowed by the better brands out there. Bose's strength as a company (aside from the brand image they've created for themselves) is taking other technologies that typically degrade audio quality and keep their impact to a minimum while also being as effective as possible. They're most famous for doing this with active noise cancelling, which is very difficult to make both effective and not negatively affect the audio- Bose's implementation is both the best isolating on the market and the least obtrusive to the listening experience. With the QC35s they've managed to take another degrading technology (Bluetooth transmission) and create a pair of headphones that sound extremely similar to their wired equivalent, the QC25. It's also well implemented on the cheaper model, but as a passive wireless headphones they aren't anything special- it's the combination of wireless, ANC and good audio quality that sets the QC35 apart for anyone who wants it all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.