Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you tell how much people pay for their clothing? watch

ReputationRep:
    Can you tell how roughly the quality/worth of what people wear just by looking at their clothes? Or is it hard to tell how much someone spends on their clothes?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, sometimes not.

ReputationRep:
    Not unless I can literally see the designer label or if I spotted the item they are wearing in a shop and know the price.

(Original post by indigofox)
    Can you tell how roughly the quality/worth of what people wear just by looking at their clothes? Or is it hard to tell how much someone spends on their clothes?
    Not really, unless it has DIOR or PRADA stamped all over it. Then again, I don't have the most acute fashion sense
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Nah, i can never tell unless its branded.

ReputationRep:
    it is very hard to tell but according to brand the brand is good the peoples pay much money for clothes.......

ReputationRep:
    probably.. but only if they are branded!

ReputationRep:
    hard to tell... i got really expensive looking clothes from preloved sites like carousell. my friends thought i spent a bomb on them lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes I can definitely tell. As someone who appreciates good quality clothing, I can immediately tell how much someone spends on their clothes. For example, it is very obvious when someone is wearing a good quality trench coat by Hobbs or Burberry vs something cheap from Zara or New Look. It is very obvious when someone is wearing Russell and Bromley loafers vs synthetic Dorothy Perkins loafers.

It is obvious when people are wearing cheap viscose or polyester high street dresses. Material is very important in determining quality. Most of the high street shops geared towards young women (New Look, Topshop, Primark etc) use man made fibres instead of cotton, linen, silk, cashmere etc (or will use a small percentage of these along with man made fibres). I can instantly tell the material and hence quality of a garment.

So even when someone has attempted to look like they spent a lot of money on their clothes (synthetic designer inspired handbag, cheap trench, synthetic brogues etc) when in actuality they bought them from Primark it is very obvious to me.

It is better to spend your money on a few good quality items instead of buying in bulk from Primark every season. It will cost you less in the long run because the high quality clothes and shoes will last a lifetime, while the cheap clothes and shoes will very quickly rip, break and fade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisa91)
    Yes I can definitely tell. As someone who appreciates good quality clothing, I can immediately tell how much someone spends on their clothes. For example, it is very obvious when someone is wearing a good quality trench coat by Hobbs or Burberry vs something cheap from Zara or New Look. It is very obvious when someone is wearing Russell and Bromley loafers vs synthetic Dorothy Perkins loafers.

It is obvious when people are wearing cheap viscose or polyester high street dresses. Material is very important in determining quality. Most of the high street shops geared towards young women (New Look, Topshop, Primark etc) use man made fibres instead of cotton, linen, silk, cashmere etc (or will use a small percentage of these along with man made fibres). I can instantly tell the material and hence quality of a garment.

So even when someone has attempted to look like they spent a lot of money on their clothes (synthetic designer inspired handbag, cheap trench, synthetic brogues etc) when in actuality they bought them from Primark it is very obvious to me.

It is better to spend your money on a few good quality items instead of buying in bulk from Primark every season. It will cost you less in the long run because the high quality clothes and shoes will last a lifetime, while the cheap clothes and shoes will very quickly rip, break and fade.
    What brand/store sells good quality clothing for the cheapest price would you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigofox)
    What brand/store sells good quality clothing for the cheapest price would you say?
    I would say Hobbs and Lk Bennett are the best. Karen Millen is good too. These brands are ideal for high quality sophisticated clothing without the designer price tag. Plus you could always wait for the sale if the original prices are a bit much. As for bags I reccommend investing in one designer bag in the sale. The Mulberry sale has just finished but there will be another one around Xmas. If Mulberry is not your cup of tea then I reccommend finding the designer brand you like and signing up for their mailing list so you know when the sale starts. And for shoes, it has to be Russell and Bromley. Their sale is on right now and if you wait until the very end you could grab some excellent quality shoes for about £70, which is a bargain considering how long they last you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If they have a big ass brand sticker on them then easily. The more expensive items tend to be somewhat more non-descript though.

ReputationRep:
    Primark is your friend. NGL they have better clothes nowadays than Topman/ASOS

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.