The Student Room Group

Social Stigma Of Apprenticeships - Express Your View

Scroll to see replies

I know it's bad but I look down on them. The reality is that if you are academically able you go to university, not an apprenticeship where you'll earn £3/hr
Original post by fefssdf
Honestly just try and get some alevels first before your rush into a apprentiships and get a part time job if you want money !!

Fair point, what would you say about studying other subjects alongside an apprenticeship?
Original post by TheTechN1304
I know it's bad but I look down on them. The reality is that if you are academically able you go to university, not an apprenticeship where you'll earn £3/hr

What about if the pay is good?
My friend managed to achieve 10 GCSEs with majority of them being A's yet she still wanted to do an apprenticeship, she wasn't interested in doing anything else. Whenever we talk about it she always seems so happy, and plus with the money she earns she always treats herself to nice stuff.
Original post by brainzistheword
That's really interesting - what Apprenticeship area is it?

My apprenticeship was technically a childcare apprenticeship - but I worked with a multi-agency team of people like family resource workers, educational psychologists and social workers. I got to work with vulnerable families, children with additional needs etc. Now I'm going on to study Speech and Language Therapy (and don't even plan on working with children in the future!). It's all about picking the right opportunity - for example, in childcare there are plenty of apprenticeships where you are just an extra pair of hands in a nursery, and you won't gain much, but then there are the good ones like I had. It's the same in any sector - you need to weed the good opportunities from the bad.
Fair point, what would you say about studying other subjects alongside an apprenticeship?

Depends how much time you're putting into studying but I'd rather just pick one option and put max effort into it
It wasn't the social stigma that made me not do an apprenticeship, it was partly not seeing any in areas that interested me as I'm more into the academic subjects e.g. History, Politics and partly not wanting to commit to working life and wanting the freedom of uni.
As far as the subjects go, back when I was taking my GCSE's and A-Levels (2006-2010) the main ones I saw advertised were in very practical subjects e.g. bricklaying. I'm absolutely terrible at practical subjects so I would never have considered them. I never saw any general business admin ones advertised which I could have actually done. Then as said I knew I wanted to study something like Politics, found most of the work experience I did while at school quite a miserable experience and the uni lifestyle appealed to me. Don't regret my decision one bit, it was great being able to study a subject I loved, being around so many people around my age for 4 years (I stayed on to do a Masters) and being able to decide when and & where I wanted to work to a great extent. It's only now, at 24 that I am finally excited by the idea of having a job (well paid internship) and earning money. And I couldn't have got the internship without going to uni.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
My friend managed to achieve 10 GCSEs with majority of them being A's yet she still wanted to do an apprenticeship, she wasn't interested in doing anything else. Whenever we talk about it she always seems so happy, and plus with the money she earns she always treats herself to nice stuff.

What area did she do her apprenticeship in?
Original post by RowanB
My apprenticeship was technically a childcare apprenticeship - but I worked with a multi-agency team of people like family resource workers, educational psychologists and social workers. I got to work with vulnerable families, children with additional needs etc. Now I'm going on to study Speech and Language Therapy (and don't even plan on working with children in the future!). It's all about picking the right opportunity - for example, in childcare there are plenty of apprenticeships where you are just an extra pair of hands in a nursery, and you won't gain much, but then there are the good ones like I had. It's the same in any sector - you need to weed the good opportunities from the bad.

Right I see, sounds like it was a good opportunity for you then. Did you choose the apprenticeship because you knew what you wanted to do, or did you not want to continue studying at that particular time (but feel more prepared now)?

Original post by fefssdf
Depends how much time you're putting into studying but I'd rather just pick one option and put max effort into it

Theoretically I would work half a week and study 1 day, so I'd have 3 days to study.

Original post by jelly1000
It wasn't the social stigma that made me not do an apprenticeship, it was partly not seeing any in areas that interested me as I'm more into the academic subjects e.g. History, Politics and partly not wanting to commit to working life and wanting the freedom of uni.
As far as the subjects go, back when I was taking my GCSE's and A-Levels (2006-2010) the main ones I saw advertised were in very practical subjects e.g. bricklaying. I'm absolutely terrible at practical subjects so I would never have considered them. I never saw any general business admin ones advertised which I could have actually done. Then as said I knew I wanted to study something like Politics, found most of the work experience I did while at school quite a miserable experience and the uni lifestyle appealed to me. Don't regret my decision one bit, it was great being able to study a subject I loved, being around so many people around my age for 4 years (I stayed on to do a Masters) and being able to decide when and & where I wanted to work to a great extent. It's only now, at 24 that I am finally excited by the idea of having a job (well paid internship) and earning money. And I couldn't have got the internship without going to uni.

Yeah I get that. People typically think Apprenticeships are for hands-on industries, which I guess they are, but now there are a wider range of them available, like in Business.
I got good grades at A Level, A*AB, and am doing an apprenticeship that gives me a degree and chartered management status haha
Original post by Hamo2509
Aren't apprenticeships and other alternative qualifications just an invention by politicians to satiate the lower classes, prevent them from gaining higher education and reduce social mobility?

I get £35k a year and a BSc out of my apprenticeship. Have fun with your student loan debts and digging yourself out of your inevitable overdraft hole
Original post by jackhaugh
I got good grades at A Level, A*AB, and am doing an apprenticeship that gives me a degree and chartered management status haha

Well done on those grades - and good luck with the degree

Original post by Donkey******
I get £35k a year and a BSc out of my apprenticeship. Have fun with your student loan debts and digging yourself out of your inevitable overdraft hole

That's really good pay - and the student debt is a big issue of Uni life

That's really good pay - and the student debt is a big issue of Uni life

Most are well paid now.
Most are well paid now.

Yeah - it's surprising how many people don't realise that though
Yeah - it's surprising how many people don't realise that though

If you apply at Big Dave's toolroom, down the road, you'll probably get paid the £3p/h, minimum apprentice wage. If you apply to a larger reputable company, they'll value you enough to want to pay you more.
If you apply at Big Dave's toolroom, down the road, you'll probably get paid the £3p/h, minimum apprentice wage. If you apply to a larger reputable company, they'll value you enough to want to pay you more.

Yeah that's the case, but I think a few people still see an apprenticeship as cheap labour, which for some companies it will be, but for others it is a valuable experience
What do you think of them? Do you think enrolling on one at 16 is the right choice? Or 18? Or in your 20s?

Should high achievers consider this option or just focus on college?

And what industries is it right/wrong for?

Love to hear your views

I've been working part time for Aldi (apprenticeship) during my two years at Sixth Form and now I've been offered the role of Deputy Store Manager, and the guaranteed role of Assistant Store Manager in two years.

I'm still debating as to whether I go to Leeds or take up the role.
Original post by jake4198
I've been working part time for Aldi (apprenticeship) during my two years at Sixth Form and now I've been offered the role of Deputy Store Manager, and the guaranteed role of Assistant Store Manager in two years.

I'm still debating as to whether I go to Leeds or take up the role.

Well done - which do you think you would take? And what would you study at Leeds?
Well done - which do you think you would take? And what would you study at Leeds?

I'm really interested in climbing the ladder in retail management after getting the offer, although it's not something I considered before.

According to my contract:

Year 1: 20 hours per week at £9.40 an hour.
Year 2: 20 hours per week at £11.00 an hour.
Year 3: 48 hours per week at £30,000 per year.

The pay is much better than I'd get in most graduate starter jobs and I'll have no student debt.

My offer is for Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest