Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if there have been previous posts on this!
    How do I secure my wireless network? I use a Linksys router, and set it up months ago... had problems with it yesterday so spent an hour on the phone to their helpline, and managed to set it up again, but it's says i's '(unsecured)'. How do I change this?!

Rep for best help - thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Innnn your web browser goto:

- http://192.168.1.1 (This is the normal IP, but reply if otherwise)

- Enter your credentials. If you haven't set any they are normally:
    User: admin, Password: password
    or
    Password: admin with a blank username.

- Goto the ' Wireless ' tab.

- Goto ' Wireless Security ' sub-tab.

- Set the ' Security Mode ' drop down box to WPA-Pre Shared.

- In the 'WPA Shared Key' field copy and paste a rather long password made of alphanumeric characters both upper and lower case.

If you can't think of a good password the link below is a fantastic random password generator.
    https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

- Make sure you know what that password is and write it down somewhere secure!

- Click ' Save Changes '

- The internet will freeze and you'll have to reconnect to your wireless, this time though you'll be required to enter the password you set up.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the model of your router but...

I'm guessing it has a web interface, so point your browser to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. If it asks for a password and you haven't set up your own, the default one might be on a sticker underneath the router. If it isn't, post the model number and I'll have a look.

If you can access the web interface, look for something ressembling "Wireless Settings", and change "Encryption Method" or somesuch to WEP, WPA, or whichever you prefer.

Edit: Beaten to it. But still, if that doesn't work, post the model number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopa)
    Innnn your web browser goto:

- http://192.168.1.1 (This is the normal IP, but reply if otherwise)

- Enter your credentials. If you haven't set any they are normally:
    User: admin, Password: password
    or
    Password: admin with a blank username.

- Goto the ' Wireless ' tab.

- Goto ' Wireless Security ' sub-tab.

- Set the ' Security Mode ' drop down box to WPA-Pre Shared.

- In the 'WPA Shared Key' field copy and paste a rather long password made of alphanumeric characters both upper and lower case.

If you can't think of a good password the link below is a fantastic random password generator.
    https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

- Make sure you know what that password is and write it down somewhere secure!

- Click ' Save Changes '

- The internet will freeze and you'll have to reconnect to your wireless, this time though you'll be required to enter the password you set up.

Good luck!
    Thanks to the replies so far! Just hit a porblem though: the only options available for selction are
    WPA Personal
    WPA Enterprise
    WPA2 Personal
    WPA2 Enterprise
    RADIUS
    WEP

Which one do I choose? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Go for WPA (more chance of it working than WPA2) personal.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i have a netgear wireless ADSL firewall router DG834G. the security options are WEP (Wired Equilavent Privacy), WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) and WPA-802.1x. which one should i choose?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Unless the wireless devices you're connecting are really old, WPA(-PSK).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help (belated reply, sorry!).... got it sorted, though the Linksys people gave me a call back and guided me through it anyway :-D

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.