Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have currently done my AS levels in English Literature, English Language, Philosophy & Ethics (RS) and French. I have always been interested in English and it has always been one of my stronger subjects. I would like to be a secondary school teacher in the future in a subject that I have an interest in. However I have noticed that there is a huge step up in A level English and this is making me question whether I should do it at univeristy or whether I should choose modern languages. I just feel that this is a decision that I need to get right so it would be nice to hear some of your experiences studying English Literature and/or Language at university.
    Thanks.
    P.S a lot of people suggest joint honours with a language but I'm just not really keen on the idea of this!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by existential)
    Hi, I have currently done my AS levels in English Literature, English Language, Philosophy & Ethics (RS) and French. I have always been interested in English and it has always been one of my stronger subjects. I would like to be a secondary school teacher in the future in a subject that I have an interest in. However I have noticed that there is a huge step up in A level English and this is making me question whether I should do it at univeristy or whether I should choose modern languages. I just feel that this is a decision that I need to get right so it would be nice to hear some of your experiences studying English Literature and/or Language at university.
    Thanks.
    P.S a lot of people suggest joint honours with a language but I'm just not really keen on the idea of this!
    I did English Lit, English Lang and RS, same as you.

English, same as most degrees are a lot of work. I'm not going into major detail because every degree course is different, regardless if it's the same subject.

But I will warn you, if you are overwhelmed by English at A-level, then you will struggle at uni. As I've just mentioned in a previous post, at uni you are expected to read big books like Jane Eyre every week and plays as long as Hamlet every week too. It's a fast past degree where if you fall behind on reading, it can be very detrimental to your grade and degree. As you can tell, you read about 2 things per term at A-level which is 2 or 3 texts in 12 weeks. You will read about 12-14 texts in 12 weeks. Might not be one text a week, but you will have about 3 or 4 other modules in that 12 weeks so it's intense. Imagine all the reading and essays you'd have to do? It can become very stressful so you need your reading to be fast and quite up to date with techniques such as skim reading and being able to condense vast amounts of writing in a short amount of time. I personally believe if people have doubts whether they want to study a subject at uni, then they probably don't want to as they are asking for reassurance rather than confirmation.

Only do a joint honors if you can't decide what subject to study in as a single honour. I love English and Philosophy and I didn't wanna study just one subject at all. I would have regretted it. I also want to be a teacher somewhere down the line.

I think it's useful to study joint, but it's by-all-means not necessary for you to do so. I think you're indecisive about which subject to study I think your best best at the start of A2, go and shadow a few teachers in the English dept and do the same in the MFL dept and see which is more "fun" or more inspiring. I think that is your best bet since you wanna be teacher. See which one is a lot more fulfilling and go by your own instinct. Ask yourself "can I see myself standing in front of bored-looking teenagers teaching French or English?" I say you'll have your answer!

I hope this helps. :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    I did English Lit, English Lang and RS, same as you.

English, same as most degrees are a lot of work. I'm not going into major detail because every degree course is different, regardless if it's the same subject.

But I will warn you, if you are overwhelmed by English at A-level, then you will struggle at uni. As I've just mentioned in a previous post, at uni you are expected to read big books like Jane Eyre every week and plays as long as Hamlet every week too. It's a fast past degree where if you fall behind on reading, it can be very detrimental to your grade and degree. As you can tell, you read about 2 things per term at A-level which is 2 or 3 texts in 12 weeks. You will read about 12-14 texts in 12 weeks. Might not be one text a week, but you will have about 3 or 4 other modules in that 12 weeks so it's intense. Imagine all the reading and essays you'd have to do? It can become very stressful so you need your reading to be fast and quite up to date with techniques such as skim reading and being able to condense vast amounts of writing in a short amount of time. I personally believe if people have doubts whether they want to study a subject at uni, then they probably don't want to as they are asking for reassurance rather than confirmation.

Only do a joint honors if you can't decide what subject to study in as a single honour. I love English and Philosophy and I didn't wanna study just one subject at all. I would have regretted it. I also want to be a teacher somewhere down the line.

I think it's useful to study joint, but it's by-all-means not necessary for you to do so. I think you're indecisive about which subject to study I think your best best at the start of A2, go and shadow a few teachers in the English dept and do the same in the MFL dept and see which is more "fun" or more inspiring. I think that is your best bet since you wanna be teacher. See which one is a lot more fulfilling and go by your own instinct. Ask yourself "can I see myself standing in front of bored-looking teenagers teaching French or English?" I say you'll have your answer!

I hope this helps. :flutter:
    Sorry for the late reply, I have only just seen this! I have given my choice of degree some serious thought this summer and I have decided on doing English Language and Literature. Throughout school and my first year of sixth form they have been my strongest subjects and I feel I may have been confused due to how overwhelming sixth can be.

I have also decided that I would like to drop French as it takes a lot of effort and time which I think could he jeopardise my A2 grades.

Thank you very much for your informative reply. Which university do you study English and Philosophy at?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.