Turn on thread page Beta

Anxiousness watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i get really anxious & worried about the smallest things, and i think it might turn into a problem.

Like when i go to the gym, sometimes there is a note on the door saying to go to the coffee shop round the corner, to grab the key off my instructor. I seem to get really worked up about this, and always panic loads before i walk into the coffee shop. Sometimes, i have even not gone altogether, because i have been scared this will happen. :bawling:

And i constantly worry about what people think of what i have said/done. Like i'll have a conversation with someone, and then for hours afterwards i will be petrified that i have offended them in some way, or that they will think badly of me. Even though most of the time, many of my thoughts are completely irrational.

And the other day, i was in Tesco's. I started to feel really self conscious, and worried about my surrounds etc. We were in the busy fruit & veg aisle at the time. I ended up having to walk away, and go to the toilets, where i had to try really hard to fight back the tears! But i really have no idea why, it's not like anything bad happened.

I'm not too sure why i'm posting this really, maybe it is just to clear my head.

Has anyone else had any experience of feeling very anxious? Did you do anything about it?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I had something similar around your age (I'm assuming you just finished GCSEs?) I don't think I had it as severely, but I can definitely relate to the coffee shop thing, and I could never understand why.

Do you ever start feeling sick? Or have you started to go out with mates at night yet?

ReputationRep:
    Not as bad as what you seem to be describing but I find the idea of meeting people really scary. I cannot start conversations (though I can get up on a stage and make a speech to loads of people :confused:).

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes get this, like when I'm out I get paranoid people are staring at me or laughing, and when people whisper it gets me really bad!

(Original post by Bexiness!)
    Basically, i get really anxious & worried about the smallest things, and i think it might turn into a problem.

Like when i go to the gym, sometimes there is a note on the door saying to go to the coffee shop round the corner, to grab the key off my instructor. I seem to get really worked up about this, and always panic loads before i walk into the coffee shop. Sometimes, i have even not gone altogether, because i have been scared this will happen. :bawling:

And i constantly worry about what people think of what i have said/done. Like i'll have a conversation with someone, and then for hours afterwards i will be petrified that i have offended them in some way, or that they will think badly of me. Even though most of the time, many of my thoughts are completely irrational.

And the other day, i was in Tesco's. I started to feel really self conscious, and worried about my surrounds etc. We were in the busy fruit & veg aisle at the time. I ended up having to walk away, and go to the toilets, where i had to try really hard to fight back the tears! But i really have no idea why, it's not like anything bad happened.

I'm not too sure why i'm posting this really, maybe it is just to clear my head.

Has anyone else had any experience of feeling very anxious? Did you do anything about it?

Thanks.
    :hugs: becky my lass ;console;
    I was having these kinda issues, and I sitll have them now, I have weeks where I don't go out cus I'm scared itll happen with friends, and sometimes wehn I do go out before this I end up going home early because of this anxiety too :hugs: SO i know how you're feeling,kind of. I was never able to solve this problem personally, and I kinda let it railroad me atm im in one of those " stages " rarely going out and I think linked to this I am lacking in energy and always tired. I thought of some tips though that may help you,they got me through the worst times ,and when I finally get the get up and go I will use these tips again :proud:
    Basically when you start feeling anxious and really self conscious just dont worry about what others think you look like , just try and relax ,close your eyes (so you dont have to see others round you) and take a good few deep breaths and then see if that helps,then if it hasn't say I can carry on for 5 more mins and then do the same thing over, it will get you through it in the en as you'll be waiting for that 5 mins to be up an stuff,it's a good coping technique. And the irrational thoughts about convos! Gah I get that all the time, and then if that person says ANYTHING related to what I think I said wrong I completely freak.You're lovely and well spoken by what I've seen from your typing and how polite you are,just rationalise and think " I've never offended someone before, I'm not that kinda person so there's no way anyone would have a reason to be annoyed with me :]"First few times, it IS hard but soon that response will be automatic.

The coffee shop business ,what is the issue here ;console; or is it just anxiety about " disturbing " your instructor? Just think that you pay your membership and that person has told you to pop there and ask so you have every right to go.
    Omg what a ramble we have here But I hate seeing one of the nicest people on TSR being upset ;console; :hugs: :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matchu)
    I had something similar around your age (I'm assuming you just finished GCSEs?) I don't think I had it as severely, but I can definitely relate to the coffee shop thing, and I could never understand why.

Do you ever start feeling sick? Or have you started to go out with mates at night yet?
    Nah, i don't really feel sick, just really panicky.

I don't quite get the whole mates thing, but yeah, i do go out with my friends at night. But this never happens when i am with them, it seems to either be when i am alone or with adults (e.g. 25+). :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilian)
    :hugs: becky my lass ;console;
    I was having these kinda issues, and I sitll have them now, I have weeks where I don't go out cus I'm scared itll happen with friends, and sometimes wehn I do go out before this I end up going home early because of this anxiety too :hugs: SO i know how you're feeling,kind of. I was never able to solve this problem personally, and I kinda let it railroad me atm im in one of those " stages " rarely going out and I think linked to this I am lacking in energy and always tired. I thought of some tips though that may help you,they got me through the worst times ,and when I finally get the get up and go I will use these tips again :proud:
    Basically when you start feeling anxious and really self conscious just dont worry about what others think you look like , just try and relax ,close your eyes (so you dont have to see others round you) and take a good few deep breaths and then see if that helps,then if it hasn't say I can carry on for 5 more mins and then do the same thing over, it will get you through it in the en as you'll be waiting for that 5 mins to be up an stuff,it's a good coping technique. And the irrational thoughts about convos! Gah I get that all the time, and then if that person says ANYTHING related to what I think I said wrong I completely freak.You're lovely and well spoken by what I've seen from your typing and how polite you are,just rationalise and think " I've never offended someone before, I'm not that kinda person so there's no way anyone would have a reason to be annoyed with me :]"First few times, it IS hard but soon that response will be automatic.

The coffee shop business ,what is the issue here ;console; or is it just anxiety about " disturbing " your instructor? Just think that you pay your membership and that person has told you to pop there and ask so you have every right to go.
    Omg what a ramble we have here But I hate seeing one of the nicest people on TSR being upset ;console; :hugs: :love:
    It's nice to know that i am not alone.

The thing with the coffee shop is; i dunno tbh. I am quite close with my gym instructor and another woman who goes, and we always chat loads. But i don't quite know how close we are or anything. I just kinda feel nervous before i go & see her to get the keys, i'm not sure why. For example, tomorrow it is my gym instructor's birthday. She is gonna be working, and she has invited me out to lunch [with this other woman too] to celebrate. But there is such a large age difference, my gym instructor will be turning 38, and the other woman is turning 28 in a few weeks, so you can kinda see why it gets awkward, as i'm only 15. :p: I am really unsure about whether to get her a present or not. I have always hated birthdays anyway, but because i am not that close to her, i am unsure whether i need to get her a present/card. My mum also goes to the gym, so i suppose she could give her a present from both of us, which would make it less awkward [i don't undertsand why i am so anxious about this whole thing, it's not a big deal! ]. I'm not sure if i really wanna go to lunch with them tbh, because of things like i have no money etc. So i am considering texting her in the morning & saying that i am ill (i have had terrile period pains today, so it is feasible) and that i will see her on Thursday. That way, it will be so much less awkward, i expect.

Oh ffs. Why am i so anxious by this, it's not exactly a big deal! :mad:

Raaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :/

ReputationRep:
    I have suffered from a lot of anxiety in the past, and at the moment. I tend to find it gets worse at night. I have to sleep with the tv on so i get the light from it lighting up my room due to my irrational thoughts. I get scared going out at night too i look around and see everyone out to get me, i have to turn around, constatly looking over my shoulder even when im in a pub. I even lie in bed sometimes and get really hyperactively paranoid and have to sit up with everything in full view and my fingers twitch.
    Dont worry your not alone, if u need to chat theres a private message thing on this right?
    Maybe we could help eachother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunshot_glitter)
    I have suffered from a lot of anxiety in the past, and at the moment. I tend to find it gets worse at night. I have to sleep with the tv on so i get the light from it lighting up my room due to my irrational thoughts. I get scared going out at night too i look around and see everyone out to get me, i have to turn around, constatly looking over my shoulder even when im in a pub. I even lie in bed sometimes and get really hyperactively paranoid and have to sit up with everything in full view and my fingers twitch.
    Dont worry your not alone, if u need to chat theres a private message thing on this right?
    Maybe we could help eachother
    Thanks.

I haven't really experienced that type of paranioa much, but i do often get scared if i am in the house alone. I constantly have to check the rooms to make sure there is no-one else in there.

I worry most at night too- maybe it is just mainly when i am alone. :dontknow: Like today, i was walking home, and i got very anxious. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really self-conscious too
    Like if I'm walking out in the street anywhere, I get this feeling that everyone's staring at me...it's awful...
    I don't really get anxious as such, but sorry to hear that you're feeling this way
    As for the part where you say you care what others think of you- I can totally agree. I get majorly depressed when people fall out with me and always end up apologising first, even if I did nothing. :confused:

(Original post by Bexiness!)
    Thanks.

I haven't really experienced that type of paranioa much, but i do often get scared if i am in the house alone. I constantly have to check the rooms to make sure there is no-one else in there.

I worry most at night too- maybe it is just mainly when i am alone. :dontknow: Like today, i was walking home, and i got very anxious. :bawling:
    You seem so tense :hugs: especially what you said about getting a present for the person at the gym I'm worried about you hun ,you just seemed really really agitated(in lack of a better word) and indecisive about it. It's a vicious circle because your getting nervous about these things then getting agitated at yourself for being nervous and then it's just repeating :hugs: You're not alone in how you're feeling and you know me and many others on tsr are here for you whenever you need to just chat or even just get some things off your chest ;console;

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Lil. :hugs: I have just had a good cry (if that exists.. :p:) and have kinda let it all out. When my mum gets home at 8, i will hopefully have a longgggg chat to her about it. I don't see her much these days, as she's always working, so i think she will be glad to have a chat. Being on my period doesn't help... all those hormones flying around. :p: xx

good good

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.