Turn on thread page Beta

Gap Year Kids 15-16 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I hate to admit it but it's nearly coming to an end So thought I'd do a few questions!
    1. How do you feel now about going to uni / wherever you're going
    2. Do you feel different about 1. than before
    3. The best thing you've done on your year out
    4. The best thing about taking a gap year
    5. The worst thing about taking a gap year
    6. Something you never thought you'd do that u did this year
    7. Excited or scared about uni?
    8. How do you feel about actually learning again? (ive forgotten everything...)
    9. Anything else?!

I feel so nostalgic and sad already but it's been great. Answer whichever ones you want! I'd love to know what everyone else found on their years out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicdancesurf)
    Hey guys! I hate to admit it but it's nearly coming to an end So thought I'd do a few questions!
    9. Anything else?!

I feel so nostalgic and sad already but it's been great. Answer whichever ones you want! I'd love to know what everyone else found on their years out
    I feel more optimistic about going to university, I don't feel depressed like I did last year and I feel more confident now. Before, I was in a very negative mindset and didn't feel ready for uni at all, I feel much more prepared now than I did.
    Yes
    The best thing I've done is probably learning to drive.I haven't taken my test yet, but it is booked! Not only have I learned a new skill, but it has also boosted my confidence a lot!
    Taking a gap year was definitely the best decision I could have made. I've managed to sort out my mental health relatively well, I've gained a lot of confidence (although there is still much more to be gained!), and I feel more comfortable with the prospect of going to university in general. If I had started university last year, I honestly think I would've dropped out.
    It has been a long journey! It has had its ups and downs, and I've been lonely for a lot of it since I don't have contact with my friends anymore (they weren't real friends).
    I can't think of an answer to this one!
    A bit of both! I'm excited to go to a new place and (hopefully) make some friends, but I'm also nervous because I'm not a big fan of change, so it's going to be quite challenging for the first few weeks!
    That's going to be interesting! I should probably read over my A Level notes just to refresh my memory haha!
    9. Anything else?!
    I don't think so!

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe you're not going to fill out your own questions OP! Don't leave us in suspense

1. How do you feel now about going to uni / wherever you're going? I feel ready? I'm not exactly clamouring to go but I'm ready to go and move out etc
    2. Do you feel different about 1. than before Before the year I felt really apathetic about education and uni, and I don't think I would've gone to university had I started in 2015
    3. The best thing you've done on your year out Visited Japan and travelled alone to places!
    4. The best thing about taking a gap year Working full time and being able to save 90% of it because I'm living with my parents haha. Also, I felt quite isolated and sheltered before the year and I feel my confidence has grown both from working full time as well as travelling to loads of places alone (nine countries in total, although only seven I visited alone). It's also helped me work on my anxiety issues that really plagued me throughout my GCSEs/A-levels so it rarely bothers me now. I've also managed to expand my social circle and work on my social skills so I'm less worried about not making any friends at uni.
    5. The worst thing about taking a gap year The initial loneliness in Sep-Oct when I wasn't in school anymore and all my friends seem to be moving on and I hadn't quite gelled with my work colleagues yet. At the time, I had a tendency to just stay in my house all day unless I was going to work and I felt very isolated and initially regretted my year, although that changed by the end of October.
    6. Something you never thought you'd do that u did this year Stay in shared room hostels! On my final trip to Copenhagen I slept in a 12-person room and didn't even bat an eyelid, whereas my first trip I actively sought out private rooms.
    7. Excited or scared about uni? More excited than scared
    8. How do you feel about actually learning again? (ive forgotten everything...) Really nervous! I'm going into a science degree and I'm sat here like,, what's a mitochondria

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loperdoper)
    I can't believe you're not going to fill out your own questions OP! Don't leave us in suspense
    Hahah okay then, if u insist
    1. How do you feel now about going to uni / wherever you're going Well I am excited but I am a staunch homebird and I know I'll miss my family a looooot
    2. Do you feel different about 1. than before Yeah I am definitely a lot more excited and positive about going to uni than before. if I'd have had to go at the end of my 2nd year of college I think I would've regretted not having a break
    3. The best thing you've done on your year out Competed in an international competition and joined a new dance show with a new style of dance I'd never done before.
    4. The best thing about taking a gap year Becoming more confident, just taking some time out for yourself to think and just figure out how you are outside of exams and studying. And having no stress!!
    5. The worst thing about taking a gap year I agree with loperdoper here, that period of time when everyone you know is moving away and youre like ... ... what do I do now... Because it's all up to you. You realise you have made quite a big decision and you're going to have to make it worth it. But then you just pull it around. That only lasted till about october/nov Also for me, months of unemployment!
    6. Something you never thought you'd do that u did this year Joined the new dance show and planned a trip to france with new friends
    7. Excited or scared about uni? Definitely both.
    8. How do you feel about actually learning again? (ive forgotten everything...) I am also doing a science course and I haven't done aaaannnyytthhing except watch the odd David Attenborough doco
    9. Anything else?! The pros outweigh the cons 100 fold. I have loved it and would recommend it to anyone and everyone

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.