Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I get ill every time I kiss my boyfriend Watch

Because of school and work my boyfriend and I tend to only see each other once or twice a week, and we don't kiss all that often. However I've noticed that whenever we have a heavy make out session I start to feel ill (sore throat, headache and fatigue) over the next few days.

I've been going out with him for a few months now and I only noticed it after my mum commented that I seem to be getting ill more often Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to them? Would really like to know what's going on seeing as his hygiene is good and he's not been ill himself.

ReputationRep:
    I would surmise that you've either a piss-poor immune system, or an allergy towards something endemic to his environment but not present in yours; such as pet hair, for instance. I've experienced similar during the first exploratory throes of physical intimacy with a new partner, but seldom again after the second or third such occurrence, so to still be reporting this kind of consistently adverse reaction following several months of even intermittent physical exposure certainly strikes me as abnormal.

(Original post by Profesh)
    I would surmise that you've either a piss-poor immune system, or an allergy towards something endemic to his environment but not present in yours; such as pet hair, for instance. I've experienced similar during the first exploratory throes of physical intimacy with a new partner, but seldom again after the second or third such occurrence, so to still be reporting this kind of consistently adverse reaction following several months of even intermittent physical exposure certainly strikes me as abnormal.
    My immune system's always been pretty good, so I did wonder if it was an allergic reaction. He's got dogs, but I've always been fine around them before so I have no idea what else it could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because of school and work my boyfriend and I tend to only see each other once or twice a week, and we don't kiss all that often. However I've noticed that whenever we have a heavy make out session I start to feel ill (sore throat, headache and fatigue) over the next few days. .

This in fact is more common than you think, and you are better off going to a GP to talk about it (since there are various causes and they are of course more knowledgeable).

ReputationRep:
    Because of school and work my boyfriend and I tend to only see each other once or twice a week, and we don't kiss all that often. However I've noticed that whenever we have a heavy make out session I start to feel ill (sore throat, headache and fatigue) over the next few days.

I've been going out with him for a few months now and I only noticed it after my mum commented that I seem to be getting ill more often Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to them? Would really like to know what's going on seeing as his hygiene is good and he's not been ill himself.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/HIV/Pages/Symptomspg.aspx

(Original post by kkboyk)
    This in fact is more common than you think, and you are better off going to a GP to talk about it (since there are various causes and they are of course more knowledgeable).
    Thank you. I wanted to ask around first before talking to a GP because it's a little embarrassing ahaha

You can't get HIV through kissing

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps his side chick passed something over. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Man needs to wash his mouth with soap and water - NASTY AF

ReputationRep:
    it's not been happening that long, perhaps it's just coincidence? you can't catch HIV from kissing and you also wouldn't 'catch' a flare up every time you kissed so I dunno what they're talking about, it wouldn't be anything you catch I wouldn't have thought as you would catch it once and that would be that... if you're worried about how ill you're getting you could ask your GP for a blood test? you can also get free STD checks if that's something that concerns you, although like I said, I doubt it is this

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friends swears that used to happen to her with this boy she used to hook up with. She went to the doctor and seemed to think she used to catch glandular fever off him, and for some reason he carried it but didn't experience any symptoms. But I really don't think glandular fever works like that...

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people get Glandular Fever. It's also known as the kissing illness, or words to that effect. But you usually only get it if you are kissing a few different people. Perhaps your boyfriend is kissing others without you knowing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    One of my best friends swears that used to happen to her with this boy she used to hook up with. She went to the doctor and seemed to think she used to catch glandular fever off him, and for some reason he carried it but didn't experience any symptoms. But I really don't think glandular fever works like that...
    Glandular fever is a viral infection so it makes sense to work like that

Thank you. I wanted to ask around first before talking to a GP because it's a little embarrassing ahaha
    If you're feeling embarrassed just know that it will not in no way whatsoever be the most embarrassing things they had to diagnose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Glandular fever is a viral infection so it makes sense to work like that

If you're feeling embarrassed just know that it will not in no way whatsoever be the most embarrassing things they had to diagnose.

I know but I was under the impression that glandular fever has more of a long term effect, and can be quite nasty. I think it's more severe than just a few days of illness. People I know who have had it have suffered for months.

But then again everyone responds differently I suppose :dontknow:

Has it happened with anyone else? You might be allergic to something in his saliva - my brother used to bite me a lot, and while he never broke the skin, I always had allergic reactions (bloody great big rashes) wherever his spit went.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.