Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to my tutor this morning, and she was saying that if I applied to Oxford with just three A-Levels (at A2) I would be at a disadvantage to those who had applied with 4 or 5 A levels (at A2). Could anybody confirm this or is it nonsense?:confused:

Thanks in advance

(Original post by gooner1592)
    I was talking to my tutor this morning, and she was saying that if I applied to Oxford with just three A-Levels (at A2) I would be at a disadvantage to those who had applied with 4 or 5 A levels (at A2). Could anybody confirm this or is it nonsense?:confused:

Thanks in advance
    It's nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    No, they have no preference for either.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by miltonkeynes)
    No, they have no preference for either.
    To be precise, they can't have a preference, because at some schools it simply isn't possible to take more than three A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't agree that it's nonsense- myself and all the other 7 people at my college in my year doing maths got an offer of 4 A's at A Level so I couldn't be sure if I would have got an offer had I only been doing 3.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bcrazy)
    I wouldn't agree that it's nonsense- myself and all the other 7 people at my college in my year doing maths got an offer of 4 A's at A Level so I couldn't be sure if I would have got an offer had I only been doing 3.
    Why? Surely you wouldn't have been less academically able?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. Thanks for replying so quickly guys I'm not sure whether I should keep Chemistry on or not next year, you see. My teacher seems to think it would make my application look better:confused:

Oh right. Thanks for replying so quickly guys I'm not sure whether I should keep Chemistry on or not next year, you see. My teacher seems to think it would make my application look better:confused:
    That comment just sounds as bad as the first one that "4 A-levels is better than 3"

ReputationRep:
    I think your teacher is probably right, never hurts to make yourself look more academically able....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eau)
    That comment just sounds as bad as the first one that "4 A-levels is better than 3"
    :p: Well, my form teacher is a PE teacher, and didn't go to a red brick uni, so she was probably just taking a stab in the dark:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Why? Surely you wouldn't have been less academically able?:confused:
    That's true- but maybe my tutors wouldn't have been convinced of that. I find it starnge that all 8 of us who got offers were doing 4 A Levels and got offered 4 A's...I know a fair few people do 4 but given that all of us did 4 it seems likely they eliminated or at least took a lesser view of people doing 3.

And Gooner- you are in the same position I was when I finsihed my AS Levels, decided to keep doing chemistry to give myself a back-up in case something went drastically wrong in the others. If you think doing chemistry won't affect your performance in your other subjects then I would say do it but if it will then don't- wait and see how strong your USM's are from this year. But AAA is definitely better than AABB!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbie)
    I think your teacher is probably right, never hurts to make yourself look more academically able....
    Yeah, in that respect I suppose so. But I don't want to continue with chemistry unless I really need to; I absolutely hate chemistry, so don't put in much work
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd say keep chemistry if you actually want to and think you can get an A without any major problems, but don't just do it because your teacher tells you to.

ReputationRep:
    That's true- but maybe my tutors wouldn't have been convinced of that. I find it starnge that all 8 of us who got offers were doing 4 A Levels and got offered 4 A's...I know a fair few people do 4 but given that all of us did 4 it seems likely they eliminated or at least took a lesser view of people doing 3.

And Gooner- you are in the same position I was when I finsihed my AS Levels, decided to keep doing chemistry to give myself a back-up in case something went drastically wrong in the others. If you think doing chemistry won't affect your performance in your other subjects then I would say do it but if it will then don't- wait and see how strong your USM's are from this year. But AAA is definitely better than AABB!
    Well I know for sure that I haven't gotten the A I was predicted, because Foundation Chemistry was a pig, and then my coursework was messed up, as my teacher only marked it the day it was being sent away, and so I didn't have time to re-do it So compared to the rest of my class, I was at a slight disadvantage

ReputationRep:
    I'd say keep chemistry if you actually want to and think you can get an A without any major problems, but don't just do it because your teacher tells you to.
    One of the things I'm messed up about is whether I hate the subject or hated the teacher who was teaching me for half of the course. He's leaving this year, so I might end up taking all four just to try chemistry out, and if I don't like it, I can easily drop it, can't I?

Another question: Do Oxford see your module marks/actual AS grades, or do they only see predicted grades? I ask because if I were to get 2As and 2 Bs, but only just miss the A in one of my subjects, I'd be resitting until I got a higher mark.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in that respect I suppose so. But I don't want to continue with chemistry unless I really need to; I absolutely hate chemistry, so don't put in much work
    yeah same i despised chemistry and didn't do any work for it, can quite understand why you want to give it up....

I did 5 A-Levels yet my offer is for 3... If you keep Chemistry and get an offer, if the offer is for 3 subjects then you should be able to give it up providing you ask the tutor first. (If they say you can't drop it then you can just fail it). Obviously this doesn't apply if your offer is for 4 subjects, but not many are....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Not necessarily. It could just be a coincidence that in this particular case, the eight candidates whom the tutors considered the most able all happened to be from schools which allowed (or even encouraged) them to do an extra A-level.

ReputationRep:
    To be precise, they can't have a preference, because at some schools it simply isn't possible to take more than three A-levels.

Although they have access to the average achievement at your school. So if average achievement is very high (>3 A Levels at A grade) then it would look odd if you only had 3.

Having said that, it is unlikely to swing the application either way, and having one less subject would give you breathing space to spend time on your PS, backround reading, so it's a trade-off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbie)
    yeah same i despised chemistry and didn't do any work for it, can quite understand why you want to give it up....

I did 5 A-Levels yet my offer is for 3... If you keep Chemistry and get an offer, if the offer is for 3 subjects then you should be able to give it up providing you ask the tutor first. (If they say you can't drop it then you can just fail it). Obviously this doesn't apply if your offer is for 4 subjects, but not many are....
    I think I'd have to choke myself if I got an offer with Chemistry in it:p:

ReputationRep:
    No Oxford will ignore the fourth anyway. Cambridge would sometimes include it in an offer, but I don't think even there that you'd be at a disadvantage to have 3.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.