Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do I motivate myself to go back to eating healthy and going back to the gym to get fit? Been a bit lazy for a few weeks now especially with all this heat.*

ReputationRep:
    For me what helps most is planning ahead: writing out exactly what I want to achieve, and by when. Then I can work out a list of what steps I need to take, in which order, and how to track my progress, so that I can succeed. I find that the process of just working things out is itself inspiring.

It's easy to fall into a trap of thinking that you lack motivation. You clearly value eating healthily and getting fit. Perhaps what you're perceiving as a lack of motivation is just feel slightly overwhelmed by the thought of starting again, because you know it will take a lot of mental effort and application. But once you start the process, and figure things out, you'll probably feel better because it won't be bothering your subconscious any longer.

One strategy I've found helps is setting a deadline for starting again. So for example I'd say that I can do/eat whatever I want until, Monday 0600, from which point I'm starting a new leaf. That gives my psyche time to prepare for the change ahead, and I'll even start to look forward to it.

Another trick that helps me, is to make sure I keep a dedicated track of even tiny amounts of progress. Dieting and fitness is a long-term process, and its easy to get disheartened by the lack of visible progress over the course of a couple months. But keeping logs of what you achieved ensures that when you hit those inevitable difficult periods, you have firm evidence that what you're doing is making a difference, and that you just need to ride out this moment.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the popular fluffy answer but I think it's a case of shut up and do it, have some self discipline because nobody is doing it for you. Make a plan for when you will go to the gym, what you'll do in the gym, when you will eat, when you will cook etc and when the time comes don't accept any excuse from your self. Longer term it's not that hard, you get into the habit, it becomes part of your lifestyle and you just do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    It's not the popular fluffy answer but I think it's a case of shut up and do it, have some self discipline because nobody is doing it for you. Make a plan for when you will go to the gym, what you'll do in the gym, when you will eat, when you will cook etc and when the time comes don't accept any excuse from your self. Longer term it's not that hard, you get into the habit, it becomes part of your lifestyle and you just do it.

I know you are right mate. It is just soooooooooo hard getting into gear. Still haven't managed to get going. Feel so unfit and lethargic but can't get going. *
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Simonthegreat)
    I know you are right mate. It is just soooooooooo hard getting into gear. Still haven't managed to get going. Feel so unfit and lethargic but can't get going. *
    Well sounds like your laziness beat you!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The thing about motivation is you can't count on it. No matter who anyone is, no one's motivated all the time. Motivation is unreliable, and if your plan to succeed is based on an unreliable thing, you can't count on success. Therefore, you have to find a way to work hard without needing motivation.

There are some ways to do this, e.g. by carefully building a habit or routine so that the desired behaviour becomes automatic, using commitment devices (e.g. giving a friend money and not getting it back if you fail), or making smart decisions to avoid temptation (e.g. not shopping when hungry, not filling the house with easy-to-access snacks, etc.).

Another approach comes from the idea that often starting an activity is the hardest bit, so you can say to yourself, for example, "all I have to do is put my running shoes on, go outside and close the door behind me. After that, if I want to, I can come back inside." But, once you're outside, going for a run becomes so easy you feel like you may as well.

Maybe you can make strict rules for yourself that make it clear when you're falling foul of them, e.g. 'don't get takeaways,' or 'workout every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4pm.' Maybe you can do something unique - get a calendar and hang it somewhere everyone can see it, then every day you succeed, colour a day a nice colour, but if you fail, colour it in an ugly way, scarring it with your failure and forcing you every day to confront your imperfections. There are limitless approaches you can take - keep trying them and find what works for you.

By making smart decisions and understanding what psychological barriers are preventing you from maintaining your habits, you can accomplish what you want without motivation. It takes work though and self-control that only comes with persistent effort.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.