Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

CALISTHENICS combined with WEIGHTS How?!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to combine weights with calisthenics here, I like calisthenics because you gain control of your body and overall is better in terms of functionality, but I think using weights can help you go over your capabilities....
    I wanna know if any here combines both,? If so how and how do you manage it in time?

Ps: Is there any calisthenics parks around Liverpool or Manchester??How often do you workout a week with only calisthenics?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I do both, 3 days a week I usually just focus on calisthenics, and two days on weights. I'll often stagger it so that I'm spreading out recovery, with two rest days in between (usually Wednesday and Saturday)

80% of my calisthenics workout is on the rings, the rest is floor work.

With the weight days I'll mix in squats, deadlifts, etc, I'll just alternative different muscle groups each time, so one day I might just focus on chest, and the next shoulders, etc.

I find this gives me a good balance and gives me a good amount of variety into the weeks too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamstrawson)
    I do both, 3 days a week I usually just focus on calisthenics, and two days on weights. I'll often stagger it so that I'm spreading out recovery, with two rest days in between (usually Wednesday and Saturday)

80% of my calisthenics workout is on the rings, the rest is floor work.

With the weight days I'll mix in squats, deadlifts, etc, I'll just alternative different muscle groups each time, so one day I might just focus on chest, and the next shoulders, etc.

I find this gives me a good balance and gives me a good amount of variety into the weeks too.
    Nice!! I wonder how you manage time though😂 so that means you exercise 5 days a week including sundays isnt? Where do you practice calisthenics cause you said most of your work is on rings.....so.does that make you a gymnast?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Chazeyourself)
    Nice!! I wonder how you manage time though😂 so that means you exercise 5 days a week including sundays isnt? Where do you practice calisthenics cause you said most of your work is on rings.....so.does that make you a gymnast?
    The gym I use is in the same building as our office, so I'll just go down in my lunch break which is really convenient. If I don't get the time at lunch then I'll just go after work instead.

I mostly focus on rings as I find it's a great tool for building strength from just your body weight while being able to focus on control, balance, and core, which is all perfect for calisthenics. I'll throw in things like parallettes for balances too, etc.

Ha, I wouldn't say I'm a gymnast, I've still got a long way to go!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.