Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've been so uncertain about my life recently but after some research, I think I've decided a route I'd like to take.*

I graduated in 2013 with a BSc in Psychology (2:1). In all honesty, I haven't really gone any further with this, I've mainly worked in customer service and admin with no real direction.

I've now been looking at masters in nursing and midwifery, with a preference in midwifery.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could get into this? Is there any way other than a masters *(as a lot say that you need to be registered already). My other worry is funding, I've heard about nhs funding and the new masters funding but I wouldn't know where to start anymore.*

Any advice would be great ☺️*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahcroucher)
    Hey,

I've been so uncertain about my life recently but after some research, I think I've decided a route I'd like to take.*

I graduated in 2013 with a BSc in Psychology (2:1). In all honesty, I haven't really gone any further with this, I've mainly worked in customer service and admin with no real direction.

I've now been looking at masters in nursing and midwifery, with a preference in midwifery.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could get into this? Is there any way other than a masters *(as a lot say that you need to be registered already). My other worry is funding, I've heard about nhs funding and the new masters funding but I wouldn't know where to start anymore.*

Any advice would be great ☺️*
    You have a couple of options as far as I know - one as you say is a masters, (I'm sure they offer graduate entry at some places, where your previous degree becomes part of your entry criteria) for which you're probably looking at September 2017 entry now, though you could try ringing round about 2016, I think it's unlikely at this point. Masters students are eligible of a loan of up to £10,000 - this is to cover fees and maintenance so really doesn't go that far...
    Your second option would be to do a BSc, again likely for September 2017 now, but some places may do Feb/March/April starts. Anything that starts before August 2017 is eligible for the current NHS funding, which covers your fees and gives you a means tested bursary - I think you can also apply for a reduced loan from student finance too. Failing that the new funding system from August is 100% loans based and through student finance like any other non-NHS degree as far as current info suggests.

You'll need to look to get some work experience relevant to the course ahead of applying too.

Hope this helps a little.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about Midwifery as I'm going to be studying Nursing but I can offer my experience.

As you already have a degree, you can apply for the PgDip in Nursing (I believe this is also a Midwifery option.) The PgDip is 2 years and you will need to have had some relevant experience too. (The amount of hours required varies by university so the more you can get the better.) You will usually have to submit a portfolio as part of your offer to show how your degree/experience can be transferred to Nursing/Midwifery.

If you can get in by March 2017, you will be eligible for the NHS bursary on the PgDip (or BSc if you choose that route) I have seen some people applying late for this September and being offered places.

There are a few universities that offer a Masters option but more seem to offer the PgDip, which can be topped up to a Masters. (You qualify at the same level when it comes to starting work but some choose to top up to a Masters for certain promotions/research Nursing etc.)

Alternatively as someone has already said, you could apply for the BSc, which is three years. Some people prefer to do this if they do not have a science background or have been out of education for a long time. There isn't a formal requirement for X hours of experience (though experience is obviously highly desired!) which you need for PgDip/Masters to shorten the course. Again if you can get in by March 2017, an advantage to the BSc is that you can also apply for a reduced maintenance loan from Student Finance alongside your NHS bursary, which you can't get if you do a postgraduate course.

I hope this is helpful, I'm happy to answer any questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fc93)
    I don't know about Midwifery as I'm going to be studying Nursing but I can offer my experience.

As you already have a degree, you can apply for the PgDip in Nursing (I believe this is also a Midwifery option.) The PgDip is 2 years and you will need to have had some relevant experience too. (The amount of hours required varies by university so the more you can get the better.) You will usually have to submit a portfolio as part of your offer to show how your degree/experience can be transferred to Nursing/Midwifery.

If you can get in by March 2017, you will be eligible for the NHS bursary on the PgDip (or BSc if you choose that route) I have seen some people applying late for this September and being offered places.

There are a few universities that offer a Masters option but more seem to offer the PgDip, which can be topped up to a Masters. (You qualify at the same level when it comes to starting work but some choose to top up to a Masters for certain promotions/research Nursing etc.)

Alternatively as someone has already said, you could apply for the BSc, which is three years. Some people prefer to do this if they do not have a science background or have been out of education for a long time. There isn't a formal requirement for X hours of experience (though experience is obviously highly desired!) which you need for PgDip/Masters to shorten the course. Again if you can get in by March 2017, an advantage to the BSc is that you can also apply for a reduced maintenance loan from Student Finance alongside your NHS bursary, which you can't get if you do a postgraduate course.

I hope this is helpful, I'm happy to answer any questions.
    Hi I came across your chat above. Anyway, I'm thinking of doing Nursing when I graduate next year. I'm current studying HR but I have realised that Im not keen on this anymore hence I want to switch when I graduate.

However, I need to be on top of things and be proactive everytime. What advice would you give me to get the balling rolling ? Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by chess.player)
    Hi I came across your chat above. Anyway, I'm thinking of doing Nursing when I graduate next year. I'm current studying HR but I have realised that Im not keen on this anymore hence I want to switch when I graduate.

However, I need to be on top of things and be proactive everytime. What advice would you give me to get the balling rolling ? Thanks
    Hi, there are PGDip adult nursing and PGDip mental health nursing courses, (I am going to do the BSc (Hons) adult nursing this September). All the universities I have seen that offer it request a degree in a Healthcare related subject to meet the entry requirements. So I would recommend looking at the universities you want to apply to and seeing if you are able to apply.
    Universitity open days are a great way for you to find out more about the course and application process, work experience is also recommended for your application (some universities require it).
    I hope this helps a bit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.