Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guy

I have been working from January and my contract runs out in August. I have been paid from January and up till now the total gross has been roughly £7,000 (£1k per month). My contract states £17,476 pro rata which equates to approximately £12,953. Can someone explain how I will be paid the rest as I imagine I would not be paid after August?

The finance lady replied: I have not had your leaving date confirmed yet, but I assume(as you went up at the last day of term), your contract is terminating at the end of August, you will receive your normal monthly salary at the end of August along with your P45 which you will need to give you your new employer.

So by the end of August I would be paid around £9,000. How will I be paid the rest £12,953- £9000 = £3,953?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Think your math is wrong and you need to fo through it with payroll. I would hazard a guess you are not going to be paid a bug lump sum at the end.

Jan-August is 8 months so thats 8/12 x 17476?= 11,650

Look at your salary slip to verify the gross and the net amounts, sounds like net and not gross to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Think your math is wrong and you need to fo through it with payroll. I would hazard a guess you are not going to be paid a bug lump sum at the end.

Jan-August is 8 months so thats 8/12 x 17476?= 11,650

Look at your salary slip to verify the gross and the net amounts, sounds like net and not gross to me.
    The £12,953 is stated in my contract. I have just looked at my payslip for my Total Gross Pay up till now: £7,517. Assuming I get paid £1k in August there still remains a big deficit?

EDIT: Contract says £17,476 pro rata. The pro rata equates to approximately £12,953 per annum inclusive of annual leave entitlement. Does that mean 12953/12 * 8??
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PoweredUpBlossom)
    The £12,953 is stated in my contract. I have just looked at my payslip for my Total Gross Pay up till now: £7,517. Assuming I get paid £1k in August there still remains a big deficit?

EDIT: Contract says £17,476 pro rata. The pro rata equates to approximately £12,953 per annum inclusive of annual leave entitlement. Does that mean 12953/12 * 8??
    Possibly. Are you working full time hours?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly. Are you working full time hours?
    Contract states 32.5 hours per week. It's in a school so the summer holidays have started. I started in January as opposed to September.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Contract states 32.5 hours per week. It's in a school so the summer holidays have started. I started in January as opposed to September.
    which isnt really full time normally its between 35-40hrs a week.

Only payroll or looking at the documents can show you hwo the money has been figured out.

I wouldn't hold my breath that they have been underpaying you all this time and theres a big fat amount of money at the end. Yiu need to go to payrioll to clear it up.

ReputationRep:
    which isnt really full time normally its between 35-40hrs a week.

Only payroll or looking at the documents can show you hwo the money has been figured out.

I wouldn't hold my breath that they have been underpaying you all this time and theres a big fat amount of money at the end. Yiu need to go to payrioll to clear it up.
    Yeah thank you so much for your help.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Np. I can only guess, but if I could see the payslip or had all the details at hand, then it would be easier to make sense of. payroll are normally helpful, maybe just go there in person if you can and ask nicely. Id expect it to be correct, but they should go through it with you. It will be easier to do it whilst you work there rather than after you have left. Im just cautious about there being a big amount unpaid, which isnt to rain on your parade but better not to be disappointed. I bet its one of the simple reasons weve discussed, but do check for peace of mind..

The only thing you might benefit from is if whether you had any trax free allowance spare, which you can check with HMRC.

ReputationRep:
    Np. I can only guess, but if I could see the payslip or had all the details at hand, then it would be easier to make sense of. payroll are normally helpful, maybe just go there in person if you can and ask nicely. Id expect it to be correct, but they should go through it with you. It will be easier to do it whilst you work there rather than after you have left. Im just cautious about there being a big amount unpaid, which isnt to rain on your parade but better not to be disappointed. I bet its one of the simple reasons weve discussed, but do check for peace of mind..

The only thing you might benefit from is if whether you had any trax free allowance spare, which you can check with HMRC.
    I can send you my payslip. All 7 of them?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I can send you my payslip. All 7 of them?
    No[e.Payroll are your best bet. I just meant someone will help you make sense of it and there will be an obvious explanation. If you think you have been underpaid then query it, until satisfied.

ReputationRep:
    I work in a school on a similar pro rata pay on 32.5 hours a week and I can tell you that appoximately 1000 per month is right

what you need to factor in is that a. you only work 32.5 hours our of 38 which takes you down to 14,957 immediately for the full year, you're also probably not getting paid for 52 weeks, I get paid for 47 weeks out of 52 which takes you down to 13519 which is closer to the figure you've been quoted

you then have about 13.5k pay for the 12 months and you get 8/12 of that which is 9012 altogether, obviously your contract may be different in terms of how many weeks you're paid for etc which could bring it down a bit further

it sounds like you've been paid right you just haven't factored in the pro rata meaning you don't work all the weeks or full time hours

ReputationRep:
    yes ^^^ this is the sum you need to be doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    yes ^^^ this is the sum you need to be doing
    Ahhh yeah it does add up. Thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.