Turn on thread page Beta

Heya all,

Jus need some advice.

After years of dancing and abit of running for my old school, my thighs have gradually become bigger than normally - muscle build.

Has anyone got any ideas of how I can reduce the size of my thighs??

ReputationRep:
    Don't dance and don't run maybe? If you stop using a muscle to its full potential, after 2 weeks you should lose almost all strength and fitness gains due to reversibility. Your thigh muscles will quickly shrink in size if you stop working them hard.

Personally, i'd rather have muscly thighs than fat ones, but its all down to personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    I have big thighs too - the only thing on me that isn't ridiculously skinny. I think it is mostly muscle, though. There isn't much you can do about it short of not exercising at all, which is unhealthy.

So I cant win then?! If i give up the dancing, my thighs will turn to fat

ReputationRep:
    Running, running, running, running and more running. It's the best way. Running (try to do 15 minutes everyday) and you should see a difference. You'll lose weight off the top of your legs and your bum.

I maintain that running is the best thing for all over reduction in body fat.

ReputationRep:
    ^But will it put weight/add muscle on the calfs?

ReputationRep:
    lol this is a funny thread.

muscle won't 'turn' to fat. Do you know gullible isn't in the dictionary?

ReputationRep:
    That has happened a bit to me too-but I'd rather have toned legs than fat or shapeless ones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glitterati)
    ^But will it put weight/add muscle on the calfs?
    If your legs are already muscely then to lose it simply tone down what is making you so muscular. If you have body fat, very frequent running will reduce it considerably.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they are "muscular", I have an idea of what you are implying and I'd call that a nicely shaped leg.

I think I will just keep up the dancing (ie Ballet) and start running

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RR)
    Running, running, running, running and more running. It's the best way. Running (try to do 15 minutes everyday) and you should see a difference. You'll lose weight off the top of your legs and your bum.

I maintain that running is the best thing for all over reduction in body fat.
    I run 5 miles, 4 times a week. I used to have stick thin legs but by running they are now all muscle.

But I guess I would rather them be muscle than fat. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Heya all,

Jus need some advice.

After years of dancing and abit of running for my old school, my thighs have gradually become bigger than normally - muscle build.

Has anyone got any ideas of how I can reduce the size of my thighs??
    Anything in short "bursts" will put on muscle mass, such as badminton, tennis, dancing, short distance sprinting, etc.
    Concentrate on long, brisk walks/jogs, but I'd say for something like this, yoga or pilates is definitely the best

(Original post by redballoons)
    Anything in short "bursts" will put on muscle mass, such as badminton, tennis, dancing, short distance sprinting, etc.
    Concentrate on long, brisk walks/jogs, but I'd say for something like this, yoga or pilates is definitely the best
    Yes - Pilates keeps cropping up into my brain to have a go at and my dance teacher keeps telling me to go as im a person who likes that sort of thing. Hmmm thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Yes - Pilates keeps cropping up into my brain to have a go at and my dance teacher keeps telling me to go as im a person who likes that sort of thing. Hmmm thanks
    Anytime, glad I could help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.