The Student Room Group

Chances of a successful appeal based on these circumstances?

Hi
My daughter was born 16 weeks early in March resulting in multiple health conditions and she has only just got home and is on oxygen. Due to this, I didn't sit a lot of assignments and they where deffered due to a successful EC application.

I made the stupid mistake of assuming all the resit assignments where the same titles as the initial assignments. I thought this as I couldn't find anything on the portal to sujest otherwise and I assumed as my assignments where deffered with no academic penalty, then It was the original title I had to sit.

So I worked extremely hard for 7 solid days and submitted all my assignments, it was such a relief. I decided (after speaking with an academic advisor) that I would fail my least confident unit to retake alongside next years options as I didn't hold high hopes for the exam.

I passed all of my units, even though I did the wrong titles all the examiners marked me as if i had done the correct title. However, in one subject they gave me a mark of 0 as I had not done the correct title. I passed this exam at 60 and needed 20% from the assignment to get an overall pass and then a pass in the entire year. My assinment was of a high standard (assumed 65-70%) but due to it being the wrong title, it wasn't even marked and subsequently I've failed and must retake a year. This is an issue as my course is 4 years long and I always intended to take an extra year of student finance to take my teaching qualifications, but now if I have to resit the year I'm unsure if that's possible.

Do you think an appeal would be successful based on these grounds?
If it is will I retake the assignment with the new title or will it simply be remarked?
Do I let them know of my circumstances or do I just state that I did the incorrect assignment title?
If they didn't give you a new assignment, then what else were you supposed to do?
The first person to talk to is your academic adviser. It could just be that the marker in this case wasn't aware of your circumstances and so didn't mark the assignment. I think you do have grounds for appeal and your SU will be able to help and advise with it. You may be asked to do a new assignment but if it's an open book assessment I don't see why that should happen. And yes you should let them know your circumstances and about your EC application.
Original post by GoingToBurst
If they didn't give you a new assignment, then what else were you supposed to do?

They did give me an assignment, I just didn't realise until an hour before the deadline when a friend and I where discussing the resits and realised we had done different questions.
Original post by alleycat393
The first person to talk to is your academic adviser. It could just be that the marker in this case wasn't aware of your circumstances and so didn't mark the assignment. I think you do have grounds for appeal and your SU will be able to help and advise with it. You may be asked to do a new assignment but if it's an open book assessment I don't see why that should happen. And yes you should let them know your circumstances and about your EC application.

I emailed the tutor who was marking the assignments and notified him I had sent in the wrong assignment and he just said "clearly there has been a mistake and you've submitted the wrong assignment, please stay in touch with the faculty" all the other tutors did not give me a penalty for submitted the old assignments, he did. So I think he just looked at it realised I had done the wrong title and awarded me zero. Just unsure if they will remark according to if I had done the correct title or will they say it's my own fault and the appeal isn't successful. As I guess, really it is my fault but I feel I should be given another chance due to the circumstances and how close I am to passing.
Did they tell you at any point what your resist assignments were? If they didn't, and they can't prove you were emailed or told, then you have an obvious appeal.
Original post by Emmalouisa1995
Hi
My daughter was born 16 weeks early in March resulting in multiple health conditions and she has only just got home and is on oxygen. Due to this, I didn't sit a lot of assignments and they where deffered due to a successful EC application.

I made the stupid mistake of assuming all the resit assignments where the same titles as the initial assignments. I thought this as I couldn't find anything on the portal to sujest otherwise and I assumed as my assignments where deffered with no academic penalty, then It was the original title I had to sit.

So I worked extremely hard for 7 solid days and submitted all my assignments, it was such a relief. I decided (after speaking with an academic advisor) that I would fail my least confident unit to retake alongside next years options as I didn't hold high hopes for the exam.

I passed all of my units, even though I did the wrong titles all the examiners marked me as if i had done the correct title. However, in one subject they gave me a mark of 0 as I had not done the correct title. I passed this exam at 60 and needed 20% from the assignment to get an overall pass and then a pass in the entire year. My assinment was of a high standard (assumed 65-70%) but due to it being the wrong title, it wasn't even marked and subsequently I've failed and must retake a year. This is an issue as my course is 4 years long and I always intended to take an extra year of student finance to take my teaching qualifications, but now if I have to resit the year I'm unsure if that's possible.

Do you think an appeal would be successful based on these grounds?
If it is will I retake the assignment with the new title or will it simply be remarked?
Do I let them know of my circumstances or do I just state that I did the incorrect assignment title?

I can't help on how successful your appeal would be but a PGCE doesn't count towards your student finance entitlement.
Original post by Emmalouisa1995
They did give me an assignment, I just didn't realise until an hour before the deadline when a friend and I where discussing the resits and realised we had done different questions.

I'm sorry, I really don't think you'll have a leg to stand on here. If they made the assignment available (which they obviously did, if other people were able to access it) then it's your fault for not picking up on that. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending