Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marvel vs. DC Watch

• View Poll Results: Which franchise is better?
    Marvel
    46.67%
    DC Comics
    40.00%
    I don't like superhero movies
    13.33%

ReputationRep:
    As Comic-Con 2016 has just finished, we saw a flurry of new trailers including Dr Strange (which looks completely mental), Wonder Woman and Justice League. As well as that, Brie Larson (Oscar winner) has recently been announced as Captain Marvel! Exciting times ahead

My question to you film fans is that do you think DC will ever be able to topple the Marvel behemoth? Personally, I feel the superhero film market is becoming a bit too saturated, but nonetheless they're still enjoyable.

What is your favourite Marvel film so far? Was Batman vs Superman a flop? Are you looking forward to the release of Suicide Squad?

Discuss

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen a superhero movie that comes close to The Dark Knight Trilogy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glib)
    Yeah they were very good Although I think the third was the weakest, but Bane was pretty awesome :excited: Shame that Heath Ledger wasn't able to make an appearance in the film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glib)
    TBH, I think the trilogy as a unit is a little over-hyped. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Nolan fan, but I feel the other 2 enjoy from the massive acclaim of The Dark knight, IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kendrik Lamar)
    TBH, I think the trilogy as a unit is a little over-hyped. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Nolan fan, but I feel the other 2 enjoy from the massive acclaim of The Dark knight, IMO
    I agree in relation to TDK Rises, however Batman Begins is still excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Talking specifically from both Marvel and DC's cinematic universes, Marvel is better. Marvel has had 10+ years of being able to build up, tie together and most importantly, Spend Time on making their movies. DC is on the second reboot of their cinematic universe after green lantern and have been trying to rush bringing out as much content as Marvel but in a smaller space of time. DC insists this isn't the case but I would believe otherwise.
    Rushing to catch up to Marvel has not only tarnished DC but has in effect ruined the early days of their reboot. BvS was not stellar and neither will Suicide Squad, whether you like them or not. They really needed to be, but aren't. Now, this may not affect DC in the short term, but in the long term it will become a "fool me once.." scenario. Another significant difference is that Disney, while they own Marvel, allow them more or less complete freedom, whereas Warner Bros, who own DC, do not. I believe that this has had an adverse effect on the quality of DC movies and will ruin the Cinematic universe reboot unless rectified.
    Marvel seems to care more about the movies they make, DC may too but haven't been able to express it, but at the moment, the worst current Marvel movie will be better than the best current DC movie.
    Feel free to disagree but this is what I currently see happening

ReputationRep:
    DC is better because the superheroes are more gritty.

ReputationRep:
    I voted DC although recently they have kinda, sort of , somewhat under delivered with BvS and GreenLantern--> (*shudders uncontrollably*).
    Marvel is pretty good but I find the movies a bit childish (just my opinion no h8 pls)

ReputationRep:
    the winter solder, civil war and days of future past are my favourites, didn't really think any of the other marvel offerings were amazing. In terms of DC toppling Marvel, they wont in terms of box office but it doesn't mean good DC films wont come out later on. then again only the second film in Nolan's batman trilogy is really a contender for outstanding on DCs side so its hard to tell as it stands.

ReputationRep:
    I vote Marvel purely for Spider-Man.
    I'm bored of the superhero genre now, and I don't really know any of the DC heroes anyway, so I find it really hard to get invested in their movies. *
    I didn't even like the Dark Knight trilogy that much.*

ReputationRep:
    Generally i would say Marvel films and comics are of a higher standard, but when DC are at their best they outclass Marvel's best.

The best Marvel film (in my opinion) is The Winter Solider, but that is simply not as good as The Dark Knight. That being said if you were to put all Marvel films in one bag and all DC films in another, I would more likely pick up a half decent marvel film compared to a DC film.

As for the comics i have far more good things to say about Watchmen (if you could call it DC), The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

ReputationRep:
    DC purely because its a lot darker and the stories are generally darker too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    I voted DC although recently they have kinda, sort of , somewhat under delivered with BvS and GreenLantern--> (*shudders uncontrollably*).
    Marvel is pretty good but I find the movies a bit childish (just my opinion no h8 pls)
    Still keeping my hopes up of DC somehow noticing me and making me the director to their next greenlantern film, I am sure I can make it a more successfull film than the last one!

ReputationRep:
    I by and large prefer DC. I actually really quite liked Green Lantern, and though BvS was a good movie. In comparison I find most of the Marvel villains just rather flimsy, and am just not a fan of the way the films are constructed.

I like the Thor movies, and the Andrew Garfield Spider-man was pretty good, but some of the Iron Man and Captain America movies in particular just really don't do anything for me.

I feel bad for DC. People mock them for movies such as Green Lantern (which as said, I thought was decent) but manage to completely forget about the Marvel failures such as The Hulk movies, and to a lesser extent Fantastic Four and some of the Spider-man movies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.