Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

27th July: Who’s your all-time hero, and why? Watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    This week on The Surgery we’re talking about our heroes, and whether we need them or not. From rappers to vloggers, join Gemma and Dr Radha on Wednesday 27th July as they take a look at who our role models are and whether they’re setting a good example or leading us astray!

Who do you admire and why? Why do we need role models anyway? Who inspires you to be your best self?

Please note: You can post on this forum anonymously.

I'm a huge fan of wrestling and have been for 18 years, i want to become a professional wrestler so i would say my Role Model is Shawn Michael's. I believe we need role models to have the sense that what we want to happen in our life can become reality that someone we look up to was in the same position we now face and has accomplished it so why can't we?
    I'd say my brother inspires me more then anyone as he always motivates me to be the best i can be a believes in me that i can make my dreams come true and the only person who can stop it happening is me.....

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Fry.

If aliens invaded this planet and asked for one representative for the human race, my god who else could it be? No-one quite else inspires me to be... well... better. I find it difficult being proud to be British, mostly because I find it hard being proud of being human. We are a failing species. We're full of so many faults and flaws. Discriminating, racist or even homophobic behavior. It's intolerable. But then, every so often, history blesses us with one. A great one. One who is simply brilliant. We've had our Shakespeare, our Wagner, our Lincoln, our Wilde, our Churchill. And now we have Fry. A man so modest and humble. So funny, but caring. So full of self doubt, but one who sees hope through our darkest moments.

I am so grateful that he is who he is. Stay wonderful Fry, and continue doing what you do best. Which is simply being you.
    Just a fan,
    Charlotte Scott

ReputationRep:
    Wolfram Alpha
    Saved my maths days.

ReputationRep:
    We need role models to look up to and learn from. Personally, I admire the singer-songwriter, Lorde. I find her lyrics very inspiring and, frankly, quite unusual - particularly her single 'Royals'. Though she is only 19, she is very wise and isn't afraid to speak candidly in interviews. I very much respect her.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't really look up to any celebs. I do admire a few scientists. In terms of who truly inspires me and how makes me want to better myself, that person is more close to home and it's my papa.

He's been through so much in his life both in personal matters, work and especially with his health. He has had so much crap thrown at him and rarely gets a break yet he never crumbles and is always there for others. He never complains and is utterly selfless. I could only dream of having the inner strength and humility that he has and he inspires me to keep going when I feel like giving up, on any aspect of my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought this meant fictional characters so mine are Celaena Sardothien/Aelin Galathynius from the Throne of Glass book series and Octavia Blake from the 100 TV show.

There are many people who inspire me.

My parents, because they're hard-working and honest. No one could ever point a finger at them and say they're dishonest. Never.

My grandfather, possibly the only person I loved more than my own parents. He was genial, quiet, organised, affectionate and caring. He never discriminated, never bad-mouthed anyone. I don't think kindness is given enough credit in modern day society, but, he was, in essence, a kind-hearted man, and that, to me, is the best a person can be.

Finally, an odd one, but, my favourite band, Bombay Bicycle Club, who sadly went on a hiatus recently. Their music has changed my life in so many ways. In this day and age, you're constantly surrounded by conflict, by anger, and, because an average person is sucked into all of this........chaos, it may seem as if they enjoy the negativity, the conflict.

I, personally, do speak up when something is not right, but I DON'T ENJOY IT. I don't enjoy conflict, and BBC's (lol) music, takes me to a temporary state of mind which I want to be in. I want to be at peace, I want to be content, and their music enables that, even if for a short while. They sing of the simpler things in life, and, in this age of bloodshed, and violence, I need to be reminded; all is not lost.

Sorry if this is cliched. It's difficult to articulate my emotions for their music. It's pure and honest. That's all I can say.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have heroes as such just people I admire.Jeremy Beadle: Had the same disability as me yet had such huge success despite it and never let it stop him.
    Rob Scallon: One of my favourite musicians who kept me going with my music despite almost giving up many a time after 13 years all because I have an inferiority complex for people who play guitar because I'm disabled.

ReputationRep:
    For me my Mum, she's been through a lot especially when I was younger, without her I would not be the girl I am today.

ReputationRep:
    Tony Benn, perhaps the best politician we have ever had, and someone who has and does still through his diaries inspire me to be nicer, to care and understand and question and think about the world and what goes on it. How technology works, and what it can do to improve our lives. How we must look after one another and work together, how we should stand up to injustice and inequality.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In history, Mahatma Ghandi.

One man who was fighting for Indian independence and against apartheid in South Africa before. A man who has influenced a lot people and followers in India. People who were convinced by his ideas and visions, as if they were mesmerized by his appearance to live the lifes for this purpose. That was so fascinating how this man was able to give Indians real hopes by his actions and words - and the fact that his plans really worked. He has even starved to give the peace among the muslims in founded Pakistan and hindus in India back after those different religions were fighting each other days and weeks before.

A great man with a great performance in mankind's history.*

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, I have so many!

My first would have to be Louise Dearman, who is a musical theatre actress and singer. I love her because she always has time for fans at the stage door after we see her in a show and she always has a smile on her face. Not to mention she has brought me and some of my best friends together.

Tatiana Maslany (Sarah, Alison, Cosima, Helena, Beth and MK) and Evelyne Brochu (Delphine) from Orphan Black are two more, for so many reasons. They're always so nice and positive to their fans and never fail to put a smile on my face. The whole cast of Orphan Black, actually.

Lastly, I would have to say Lana Parrilla. She's been through some crap in her life, like losing her father at a young age and having racist comments made against her (she's Puerto Rican), yet she seemingly never lets this dull her spirits. I aspire to be like her as an actor and as a person.

Others include Laura Michelle Kelly, Carrie Hope Fletcher, Jessica Keenan Wynn, Zizi Strallen, Sutton Foster and Kerry Ellis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I thought this meant fictional characters so mine are Celaena Sardothien/Aelin Galathynius from the Throne of Glass book series and Octavia Blake from the 100 TV show.
    Yass Throne of Glass!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I don't really look up to any celebs. I do admire a few scientists. In terms of who truly inspires me and how makes me want to better myself, that person is more close to home and it's my papa.

He's been through so much in his life both in personal matters, work and especially with his health. He has had so much crap thrown at him and rarely gets a break yet he never crumbles and is always there for others. He never complains and is utterly selfless. I could only dream of having the inner strength and humility that he has and he inspires me to keep going when I feel like giving up, on any aspect of my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your father seems to be a very nice person. You should be very aware of how good your father is. And by reading your words, you really are. Know a lot people whose fathers don't have this attitude to their people in environment, not even to their own children.

You said that you 'admire a few scientists'. What are their names? **
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Your father seems to be a very nice person. You should be very aware of how good your father is. And by reading your words, you really are. Know a lot people whose fathers don't have this attitude to their people in environment, not even to their own children.

You said that you 'admire a few scientists'. What are their names? **
    He's my grandpa but he raised me so pretty much is my dad

Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Marie Curie, Nikola Tesla
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    He's my grandpa but he raised me so pretty much is my dad

Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Marie Curie, Nikola Tesla
    Grandpa? I thought papa is another term for dad?*

Yeah, those scientists are well known to me too (except Richard Dawkins). As my interests are specialized in sciences, I know a lot scientists, their merits and performances, the meanings for science and society. To list them means to extend the post. **
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Grandpa? I thought papa is another term for dad?*

Yeah, those scientists are well known to me too (except Richard Dawkins). As my interests are specialized in sciences, I know a lot scientists, their merits and performances, the meanings for science and society. To list them means to extend the post. **
    It is in some places I'm sure, but I've always known papa to mean grandpa where I come from
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is in some places I'm sure, but I've always known papa to mean grandpa where I come from
    So where do you come from? just known grandpa as minimization for grandfather. And that's it what I said to my ones during their lifetimes.*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So where do you come from? just known grandpa as minimization for grandfather. And that's it what I said to my ones during their lifetimes.*
    Scotland

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.