The Student Room Group

Have you ever experienced sexism or harassment at university?

Marie Claire are writing a sensitive, serious report about the culture of sexism, sexual harassment and, in some cases, serious sexual assault at British universities. The issue has been in the news a lot in the last couple of years and although measures are being taken to tackle it, it's still a problem. They want to write an article to empower students at university and highlight the issues that still exist.

They’re looking for students or recent graduates (in the past couple of years) to talk briefly about their experiences of any of these issues at uni. If your experience is particularly sensitive, they’re happy not to use your name. Even if it's less extreme - say, about what you’ve observed in terms of women's treatment by groups of male students and vice versa, any sexist drinking games played etc - it would be great to hear about it as they’re trying to build up a picture of the sort of things students can face.

If you or anyone you know would be willing to talk about this post your experiences in the thread or if you prefer you can email me directly at [email protected] :smile:
I was denied entry to my neighbours large all female pool / sleepover party next door.

They shouted abuse at me, filmed me (Shouting world starr or something) laughing and phoned the police on me.

PS - Please censor my name when they publish it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I was denied entry to my neighbours large all female pool / sleepover party next door.

They shouted abuse at me, filmed me (Shouting world starr or something) laughing and phoned the police on me.

This doesn't entirely surprise me. I've definitely seen numerous cases where women have refused to consider having a male housemate. I've even been turned away apparently because one of the housemates, out of a couple of female friends, wanted an all female house. I'm honestly not too sure why. I'm not saying there aren't all male houses but I've never seen an ad where a bunch of guys are trying to fill a spare room saying no women.
(edited 7 years ago)
Bump for more views
Reply 4

Original post by alexs2602
This doesn't entirely surprise me. I've definitely seen numerous cases where women have refused to consider having a male housemate. I've even been turned away apparently on the pretext that one of the housemates, out of a couple of female friends, wanted an all female house. I'm honestly not too sure why. I'm not saying there aren't all male houses but I've never seen an ad where a bunch of guys are trying to fill a spare room saying no women.

Wow! Thanks for your stories, have any females experienced similar things?
Original post by MarleyZ
Wow! Thanks for your stories, have any females experienced similar things?

I've been verbally abused and pushed to the pavement/kicked in the face by a guy in front of a group of guys who did nothing (I am a girl btw).
Original post by Anonymous
I've been verbally abused and pushed to the pavement/kicked in the face by a guy in front of a group of guys who did nothing (I am a girl btw).

wtf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending