Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, but would getting myself a part-time job make doing my 5 highers much harder?

My mum's trying to talk me out of it but I really want a job!

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I know people who managed to combine working with Highers; it would probably be fine as long as you're not taking up too much time and energy. Don't underestimate the workload of five Highers, but at the same time, the amount of homework/coursework is far from unmanageable. You know yourself how good or bad a work ethic you have...if you know you're likely to come home from work exhausted and not do any schoolwork, don't do it. If you know you're decent at time management, go ahead.

Maybe getting one just until Christmas would be the best plan?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm happy to do one just til christmas. I'm only talking at the most 3 days a week, so I'm still going to have the other 4 days to revise plus a couple of hours on the work days.

Is it too early to start revising? Just how big are these courses?

Thanks =]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Bit early to start revising. :p: Though it's good to go over work you've already done, consolidate it etc. so if you're feeling enthusiastic...

Size of the course depends on the subject really.

ReputationRep:
    Far too early!

Have you started courses already?We didn't start them properly until after summer holidays.

I started revising in January just before the prelims.

They aren't that much hard work, honestly. People say it's such a big step up from standard grade and it is a step up but it's not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we started the courses at the beginning of june. Maths just looks totally un-doable

I was just wondering if it would be easier to memorise everything as we go along to make it easier in the long run?

ReputationRep:
    I did five highers and a job, At Argos as a stock assistant and over christmas it was quite hellish and completely tired me out but I still done greatly however I left before exam time.

ReputationRep:
    If you started revising now, it would almost definitely make it easier in the long run! I wish I'd had the motivation to do that!

I never had a job during highers, but most of my friends worked Saturday/Sunday and therefore never got round to doing homework for Monday. Many a Monday morning I've spent letting people copy my homework, it's not really the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    I worked all the way though my highers, but only on a Saturday, so I had the rest of the week to revise and other stuff. Just remember that if you're taking on a job, you should try and leave some time so that you can go out with friends, relax, etc, so that you're not constantly working or studying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn)
    Yeah we started the courses at the beginning of june. Maths just looks totally un-doable
    haha same, already having worries about maths :confused: lol
    My friend last year sat 5 highers and although she didnt have a part time job, she danced (with me lol) 2 times a week for 6 hours and it took up most of her weekends too, and she managed fine

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we've done the straight line stuff so I'm pretty worried about it... especially since I went on holiday for two weeks of it lol

ReputationRep:
    Math scares me.

ReputationRep:
    ...Me too... =[=[=[=[

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll be ok with it, I never got a job and then wished I had, cos I never spent the free time studying, just procrastinating - I could have been earning instead!

ReputationRep:
    A part time job should be fine. Not sure about 3 days a week though, one or two would be better.

ReputationRep:
    hey all,
    Yea i hated my part time job, was in a supermarket in my first year, but resigned soon enough. Jus got in the way of stuff n wasn that fun. N then i managed 2 supliment what money i had lost by gettin this online thing , jus tells u how 2 get money outa google n stuff, its great you can do it part time n everythin n takes up no time at all. Ava look at it here.
    Kinda cool cuz it merged with my course

Cyz - sam

ReputationRep:
    No textspeak please.

ReputationRep:
    it would be possible to have a part time job and do well in your highers. it wont be ideal though, you'll probably be knackered, stressed and addicted to caffeine! lol no seriously though, it would be hard work. i didnt have a job in 5th year and totally worked for my highers but i did have a job in 6th year, did advanced highers and a crash higher as well as being head girl and chair person of year book committe and i found 6th year difficult. dont try and take on more than you can handle..you'll know your limits and whats comfortable for you. the material in highers are not hard but the volume is a lot. its only for 9 months of your life..dont mess it up sorry about the rant lol! xx

ReputationRep:
    awww thanks for the advice =]

ReputationRep:
    I going to try having a part time job and doing 5 highers.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.