• has a powerful processor - something with a high end CPU
    • has a substantial amount of RAM
    • has a long battery life
    • has a SSD drive
    • is very lightweight
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a certain budget?

From your list of requirements, I think something like the Dell XPS13 would be perfect for your needs tho spending >£1000 is quite a fair bit of money. Bear in mind, that if you plan to run very intensive programs or play video games on the laptop, the XPS13 won't be able to handle it.
    If you're looking for something a bit bigger, then a Dell XPS15 is great as well. A Dell XPS15 with a GTX960M would be sufficient to handle some light gaming as well at 1080p.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a powerful processor - you can easily use the Universities computers for that (Which you will most likely will be using).From my experience i only used it for lecture notes, coursework and light gaming so following on to that, I had a quick look on currys pc world and found this sweet deal:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...37912-pdt.html

The SSD can easily be upgraded by buying a 500gb one but you'll probably wont need it.

Have fun looking!

ReputationRep:
    I spent £770 and got cash back as well through topcashback

I'm starting computer science and got this as it replaced my desktop

I7-6700HQ 2.7-3 GHz
    16GB ram
    250GB Sandisk business class ssd 4K write speed
    Nvidia 960m 2GB

For £770 -£20 cash back and the laptop is fairly light weight plus has a fingerprint scanner along with an encryption module

Novatech.co.uk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6HpfiK3kzU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _howl)
    Ideally something that:
    • has a powerful processor - something with a high end CPU
    • has a substantial amount of RAM
    • has a long battery life
    • has a SSD drive
    • is very lightweight
    Thanks!
    Lots of people have said you don't need a brilliant laptop for UNI which is true for the course itself however I bought my laptop to last 4-5years and to replace my desktop for gaming.

But in sense of the course you don't need ANY laptop at all. For ANY course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by NeverLucky)

From your list of requirements, I think something like the Dell XPS13 would be perfect for your needs tho spending >£1000 is quite a fair bit of money. Bear in mind, that if you plan to run very intensive programs or play video games on the laptop, the XPS13 won't be able to handle it.
    If you're looking for something a bit bigger, then a Dell XPS15 is great as well. A Dell XPS15 with a GTX960M would be sufficient to handle some light gaming as well at 1080p.
    I support this. My XPS 13 is the single best laptop I've ever had. Lightweight and super portable. The XPS 15 would be my choice for a larger, more powerful device but the XPS 13 wins it for me on portability.

I've never tried them but the Razor Blade line, particularly the Stealth line seem to be another contender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I support this. My XPS 13 is the single best laptop I've ever had. Lightweight and super portable. The XPS 15 would be my choice for a larger, more powerful device but the XPS 13 wins it for me on portability.

I've never tried them but the Razor Blade line, particularly the Stealth line seem to be another contender.
    Novatech all the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

(Original post by NeverLucky)

I'm quite keen on the XPS13, however, I'm not sure if I'm better off buying a Macbook pro instead - purely because of it's better build quality and Mac OS being more stable than Windows.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by _howl)
    I'm quite keen on the XPS13, however, I'm not sure if I'm better off buying a Macbook pro instead - purely because of it's better build quality and Mac OS being more stable than Windows.
    Build quality on the XPS is second to none. I cannot fault it in any way on build quality. My only minor gripe is the lack of a one finger hinge, or in fact any sort of indent to grip the screen with when opening. When closed the screen sits flush to the body. that's my biggest (and only) complaint on build quality. Everything else is absolutely faultless. In fact the only other thing I can fault the laptop on at all is the location of the webcam (bottom left corner of the screen) which is a necessity due to the tiny bezel.

Mac OS vs Windows is really an argument that could go on forever with no real clear winner. I'm not going to get into a huge debate about it but I don't personally feel that the cost associated with a Macbook are justified by OSX, especially when you often get more for your money (spec wise) elsewhere. If you want OSX that's your choice. If you want Windows I still recommend the XPS range.

Either option will fulfill your original criteria so really it comes down to what else you'll be using it for. If you wanted to game I wouldn't recommend a Macbook. If you'll be using lots of virtual machines and need OSX then the Macbook is your choice. The Macbook will be the only straightforward way of having Windows, OSX and other environments like Linux flavours.

Stability is up in the air. I don't run into stability issues with Windows 10. No more than I'd have with a Macbook. So my honest advice remains with the XPS line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _howl)
    I wouldn't say the MacBook Pro has a better build quality than a XPS13. I'd say there was as good as each other but in a way, I feel like build quality can be subjective like aesthetics.
    Ultimately, I think your decision lies with whether you prefer Mac OS or Windows. I don't think stability is an issue with either OS; it purely comes down to preference. However, I do feel like when it comes to things like word processing and programming, I find Windows to be more intuitive and straightforward.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.