Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I called student finance to explain that my mum and her partner are seperating. Him being on my application means that I am only entitled to the minimum amount.

Student finance are saying that I need to provide a council tax bill to prove that my mum and her partner are separated and living at seperate addresses; however at the moment they are in the process of putting the house on the market, so are still at the same address.

I was then advised by student finance that I need my mum and her partner to sign an affidavit to declare their separation - which costs between £288-490 at the solicitor. Neither my family or myself can afford this.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? I have no idea what to do next. I need him off my application because him and my mum are no longer together, and I cannot afford my rent let alone food at university with him on the application.

Please help! Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Abbiebc)
    I called student finance to explain that my mum and her partner are seperating. Him being on my application means that I am only entitled to the minimum amount.

Student finance are saying that I need to provide a council tax bill to prove that my mum and her partner are separated and living at seperate addresses; however at the moment they are in the process of putting the house on the market, so are still at the same address.

I was then advised by student finance that I need my mum and her partner to sign an affidavit to declare their separation - which costs between £288-490 at the solicitor. Neither my family or myself can afford this.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? I have no idea what to do next. I need him off my application because him and my mum are no longer together, and I cannot afford my rent let alone food at university with him on the application.

Please help! Thank you.
    Until he has moved out AND there's proof that he has moved out SFE wont be able to reassess - but they can do this up to 9 months after you start your course.

The council tax proof is the best and cheapest option - try not to panic and try to earn and save as much as possible over the summer and find the best deals for student bank accounts/overdrafts etc so that you can afford your first term on the minimum loan and check with your council to find out what they need for single person discount (that's the proof SFE will need) so that you can get it sorted out ASAP once he moves out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.