Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

On Saturday I had an interview at my local Spar (basically a convenience store), and it went quite well and one of the interviewers told me I would likely hear back by "The beginning of the week". It's now Monday afternoon and I know I'm probably overreacting, but I'm very desperate for a job and I'm worried they won't call me back. How long should I wait if they don't call?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    You should wait for about a week. If they don't respond back then it is likely you are unsuccessful. However, it is worth e-mailing them or phoning them up just to ask about the process of your application after a week.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell its not even been a day ? Just a wait a few more days give it untill Wednesday/Thursday latest

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm overreacting, thanks I think I'll wait it out a bit longer

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally driving myself crazy over this, I have never been as desperate in my life. This was my 6th job interview ever and I'm only 17. Nowhere wants to hire me. Will I just keep waiting? Or should I call and ask? I'm literally shaking thinking about how I haven't got the job.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so -

I just got a call back from the manager, and he said that unfortunately I did not get the job, but he seemed genuinely disappointed because he could only take on one person and said that if there were two vacancies, I would have definitely been hired. He said that he would keep my application on file and that as soon as any vacancy came up in the next few weeks or months (which he said he was expecting, although he couldn't make promises) I would be the first one he'd call.

Do you think that was genuine, or was it simply a way of letting me down gently? He did say I interviewed fantastically. Surely he wouldn't call unless he didn't want to burn bridges with me?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by smc720)
    Drop into the shop in a couple of weeks and show you are still interested if anything comes up.

You'd never mention to a no-hoper that you might have another job coming up!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.