Turn on thread page Beta

V65 - Drug Piracy Bill 2007 watch

• View Poll Results: The question is that this bill should be passed into law.
    As many as are of that opinion say Aye
    41.38%
    On the contrary No
    41.38%
    Abstain
    17.24%

ReputationRep:
    Drug Piracy Bill 2007, LibertariansA bill increasing the severity of Drug Piracy as a crime.

Drug Piracy is an increasingly prevalant crime perpetrated by organised criminal groups. Although production of pirated drugs is not commonplace in Britain, many of those who run such operations are based in the United Kingdom. Sale of pirated drugs can often result in death for those who fail to receive effective medicine.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

- Those who are convicted of complicitly and knowingly partaking in the production of counterfeit drugs be issued with a life sentence.

Reference:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/6692431.stm

ReputationRep:
    *******s

ReputationRep:
    I support the bill in principle but without the proposed ammendments I won't vote for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    *******s
    Language Big Dan!

As above - I support the principle, but won't vote for the life sentence bit. I'd be happy to see the Libertarians re-submit this bill.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my "*******s" comment earlier was in that I totally forgot about the deadline; I was intending to submit a (hitherto unwritten) ammendment as a 2nd reading but forgot. Oh well, we'll go back to the drawing board on this one.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Since there were not any of the amendments made I cannot vote for this bill. Potentially I could have.

Could the bill still be withdrawn to allow a resubmission of an amended bill in a few days time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    Since there were not any of the amendments made I cannot vote for this bill. Potentially I could have.

Could the bill still be withdrawn to allow a resubmission of an amended bill in a few days time?
    Indeed; Nightowl?

ReputationRep:
    Voting can be ceased if you want, then an ammended bill can be submitted whenever. It would be another first reading though, but that shouldn't matter too much

ReputationRep:
    Yeeeeaaah that sounds good, thanks very much amigo.

ReputationRep:
    This division has been declared invalid.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.