Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a bit of advice on whether it'd be possible for me to apply for a job and whether it'll be actually worth it. Sorry for the long post

I just finished Year 13 and at the moment I'm doing nothing all day every day, except for updating my mum's website, replying to emails etc for her. I normally do this for 10-15 hours a week and she's paying me £8/hr to do it for her. It's not hard work though, most of it I can do while just sitting around in the evening.

I have a paid internship starting mid August, it's due to last 3 weeks but I've been told I may be able to extend it for another 2-3 weeks if everything runs smoothly. This is £8.25/hr and I think it'll be 9-5, so 8 hours a day.

I was mainly thinking of jobs at bars, restaurants etc. that would be mostly working evenings and later, particularly at weekends. I feel like I can't realistically get another job no matter how much I want one, as I don't have that much time so can't be very flexible with hours and I'll hopefully be leaving for uni in two months.

However, my parents don't give me any money whatsoever apart from what I get from working for my mum. I'm only entitled to the minimum maintenance loan which will barely cover my accommodation, my parents have said they'll give me money to live off but I'll feel guilty. I'd also like to work in uni holidays and I think maybe if I get a job now, they'd be more likely to take me back? So it'd be easier than me spending the first 3 weeks trying to find a job, competing with loads of other people etc. I'm not too sure on that, but I know my cousin had a waitressing job which she went back to whenever she was home from uni.

I know time would be a tight squeeze and I'd probably be working pretty much all the time, but tbh I don't mind the idea of that and I don't really do much otherwise. I go to the gym around 5 times a week for around 1h30 at a time and I row 4-5 times a week for an hour or so, so I have the time to work. Also it's kinda stupid but I just got out of a reasonably long term relationship and would like to keep myself busy

So yeah, I think it's a no on the job front, at least for the moment but I'd like to hear some second opinions as I'd really like to try and get another job.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If you have the time and need the money then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Olivia30, I'm a careers adviser at a University.

You haven't said what course you're planning to do and the amount of academic commitment you would have, but it may be worth trying to find work where you plan to study a little earlier than everyone else, to try to get something for when you start (obviously it would be a good idea to wait until results day to be 100% sure on the University!). Many Universities have a 'jobshop' or similar, where they advertise part time job opportunities suitable for students, so that could be a good place to start.

Also, getting a job at home before you go to uni doesn't guarantee that they will have you back the following summer - if you're in sports teams / societies, volunteering or find part time work at University this will all look good on your CV. If you apply for jobs a little before you are due back home next summer, you would give yourself the best chance in finding something before the summer arrives.

There's nothing to stop you getting another job, but a job with fewer hours (with potential for more as and when required) would probably suit you best - the kind of places you suggested sound ideal.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    If you have the time and need the money then go for it.
    Thanks if I can find somewhere that's willing to have me and that suits me, I'll go for it

(Original post by Uni_adviser)
    Hi Olivia30, I'm a careers adviser at a University.

You haven't said what course you're planning to do and the amount of academic commitment you would have, but it may be worth trying to find work where you plan to study a little earlier than everyone else, to try to get something for when you start (obviously it would be a good idea to wait until results day to be 100% sure on the University!). Many Universities have a 'jobshop' or similar, where they advertise part time job opportunities suitable for students, so that could be a good place to start.

Also, getting a job at home before you go to uni doesn't guarantee that they will have you back the following summer - if you're in sports teams / societies, volunteering or find part time work at University this will all look good on your CV. If you apply for jobs a little before you are due back home next summer, you would give yourself the best chance in finding something before the summer arrives.

There's nothing to stop you getting another job, but a job with fewer hours (with potential for more as and when required) would probably suit you best - the kind of places you suggested sound ideal.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping to go to Oxbridge, where they pretty much ban part time jobs so I'd like to find one which I can work during holidays when I'm back at home. With the short terms too, I should be back at home a fair amount of time each year.

I figured that finding a job wouldn't guarantee that they'd have me back, but I know quite a few people now who are working/have worked in restaurants for example where the manager was keen to have them back when they returned from uni, mainly since they already know the restaurant and how to do things etc. It'd be a long shot and I'm sure lots of place don't take that logic though.

I also spoke to another friend today who has applied for jobs and most of them wouldn't want someone who can only commit to working 1-2 months now and then going off to uni. Maybe I should have applied earlier or maybe I'll just end up looking for Christmas temp jobs :dontknow:

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Olivia30!I like your post! I think it is a good idea to you to get a job in this situation, you are in a free time and want to be busy. My advice to you is to try to find a job with something you like, not just for the money, or you will be “tired of the job” in a few days. If you can’t find anything that you would like, it’s ok to try to work with anything else, just for a few months, as you said. And it will be good to you to get experience and be prepared for the future, plus I think your parents will like to see that you are striving. Hope you can find a way to solve this.
    Good Luck!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.