The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE English Language rounded percentages.

I got 26/30 in my English Language CIE IGCSE Controlled Assessment. This is 86.7777777777%. Would the examiner round this up to 87%. If my overall percentage was 78.6%, would this be rounded up to 79% as well?
Examiners don't use percentages, probably due to how inconvenient it would be, and considering rounding. They instead either use your raw mark, or convert it into UMS, which is totalled. If it's UMS, 90% will be an A*, 80% will be an A, etc., if it's raw marks it'll vary, but there will be a specific raw mark boundary for each grade.
Original post by _gcx
Examiners don't use percentages, probably due to how inconvenient it would be, and considering rounding. They instead either use your raw mark, or convert it into UMS, which is totalled. If it's UMS, 90% will be an A*, 80% will be an A, etc., if it's raw marks it'll vary, but there will be a specific raw mark boundary for each grade.
So you are saying that 90% UMS is an A*? I may be wrong but how can this be the case?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dp00
So you are saying that 90% UMS is an A*? I may be wrong but how can this be the case?

90% UMS and 90% Raw marks are very different. You could get 50/80 raw marks and that could be 90% UMS, it all depends on how the marks are scaled.
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
90% UMS and 90% Raw marks are very different. You could get 50/80 raw marks and that could be 90% UMS, it all depends on how the marks are scaled.
If I got the following marks would you be able to judge from last year's grade boundaries if I would get an A*?
40/50 In reading. 40% of Grade
37/50 In directed writing. 40% of Grade
26/30 In speaking assessment. 20% of Grade

If you wouldnt't mind. I would really appreciate it!
Original post by dp00
If I got the following marks would you be able to judge from last year's grade boundaries if I would get an A*?

What is the name of your qualification? If you had the syllabus number, I could do so.
Reply 6
Original post by dp00

Hi, the IGCSE in English Language doesn't use UMS as such.

Speaking is taken down to a mark of 25 so that is can be weighed at 20%.

Your speaking is therefore given 22/25.

40 + 37 + 22 = 99

99 will almost definitely be an A* for this particular qualification. Well done!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ad4m
Hi, the IGCSE in English Language doesn't use UMS as such.

Speaking is taken down to a mark of 25 so that is can be weighed at 20%.

Your speaking is therefore given 22/25.

40 + 37 + 22 = 99

99 will almost definitely be an A* for this particular qualification. Well done!

I cannot tell you how grateful I am for that!! Thanks so much! IF i got 99, how much did you need for an A*? Thanks a million. You are a really helpful person!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dp00
I cannot tell you how grateful I am for that!! Thanks so much! IF i got 99, hoe much did you need for an A*

Usually somewhere between 90 and 95. You did the one with Paper 2, Paper 3 and Speaking correct? There is another that involved Paper 2, Speaking and Coursework with much higher boundaries. Due to the two papers boundaries are usually quite a lot lower due to the fact Cambridge markers are very stingy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending