Turn on thread page Beta

STIs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can safely say I know I don't have one, but was just wondering if medical professionals can predict how long someone has had an STI?

i dont think there is. i suppose there would be a way of counting the growth and spread of bacteria but its not something they do afaik. and i think most stis are viral
    generally if you were affected with one you are advised to contact all sexual partners from a time frame.

ReputationRep:
    They can't be viral can they? Not if they're cured by antibiotics.

HIV and herpes is viral iirc

ReputationRep:
    ...but Gonorrhea and Chlamydia are bacterial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    They can't be viral can they? Not if they're cured by antibiotics.
    Some sti's are caused by viruses such as HIV, Hepatitis and a few others they wouldn't be treated with antibiotics. But the more wide spread ones are bacterial. I am pretty sure that they wouldn't be able to reliably tell when someone contracted the infection.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I thought (and was trying to say!). The vast majority can't be viral because many - if not most - STIs are cured by antibiotics.

oops only just realised what i put. i ment to say - and i think most stis are bacterial, not sure how it would work with viral.
    not sure what happened there

(Original post by Sarzy)
    I can safely say I know I don't have one, but was just wondering if medical professionals can predict how long someone has had an STI?
    a loaded question if ever there was one.
    you are SURE you haven't got one and want to know if it can be proved how long your ex/current girlfriend has had one?

ReputationRep:
    Don't know how to word this so it makes sense..
    A guy who I talk to openly about sex stuff (and has a girlfriend) said that he had a bladder infection so he went to get checked that it wasn't an STI and he was clean, and then it cleared up so he could have sex with his girlfriend again.

Then he got another STI check and they told him he had the starting cells of chylamedia (turns out his girlfriend had cheated on him). So I think they can tell if you've literally just contracted it but after that then no, like they couldnt tell you if you've had it for a year or two years say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarzy)
    Antibodies can give some info. Not much.

This probably sounds unbelievably stupid, but after having a conversation with someone a few months ago, I have been wondering.

How easy is it to catch an STI? When are you gonna catch it? It must be easier to get an STI than... get pregnant say? This friend and I were just talking and she was under the impression that the guy had to ejaculate for you to catch something, but I've never actuall taken that kind of risk... Condom always goes on first!

So yeah anyway, if someone could enlighten me on this maybe!?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.