Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

First year in Warwick

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I am starting the biomedical science programme at the University of Warwick in October and I have a few questions on my mind.
    1. I am not from the UK, however I am an EU citizen. The University of Warwick recommends going a week earlier for all international students/EU citizens. Is it worth going to the 'Welcome to Warwick programme', which starts on 27th September or should I just come on 1st October? Can anyone share his experience?
    2. I have been playing tennis for more than 10 years now, therefore I am interested in the tennis club. Firstly, how hard it is to get into the university team? Secondly, what is the overall atmosphere in the club (e.g. are people friendly)? Thirdly, how much time does it take?
    3. Do you know anything about the Salsa society and/or BioSoc society?
    4. I have read that there are a lot of parties in the campus and outside, and that the majority of students go out very often (up to 4 times a week). How do they keep up with the workload as well as partying? Furthermore, are there a lot of 'hook ups' between students?

ReputationRep:
    Can't say much about the first three. #4 is mostly false.

ReputationRep:
    I just graduated in Biomedical Science. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

I'm a UK resident, so I don't have any experience with orientation. I think most people that did orientation really enjoyed it. I have no experience with the tennis club. BioSoc runs peer support sessions every Monday at 5pm, so you can drop in and get help from PhD students and other undergraduate students with any element of the course that you need help with (lab reports, essays, general understanding, calculations, etc). They have roughly two social events a term. Your fourth question is completely dependent on the individual student. Some go out a lot, some never go out.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting uni as an undergraduate this coming October as well, but I am still hesitant to join the Welcome to Warwick programme because of its cost (>£100 for accommodation and meals ALONE!!). But I am not sure if I should be missing any of the induction events. Have you decided whether to attend the event?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfNachos)
    I am starting uni as an undergraduate this coming October as well, but I am still hesitant to join the Welcome to Warwick programme because of its cost (>£100 for accommodation and meals ALONE!!). But I am not sure if I should be missing any of the induction events. Have you decided whether to attend the event?
    The cost was also the main reason why I was not sure I want to attend the Welcome to Warwick programme. However, I decided that I will go as I talked to some other international undergraduates and they said that at first they were sceptical as well but now they don't regret going as they made a lot of friends and had a great time. Therefore, I think it is worth spending some money in order to get to know others and make some new friends. Moreover, I looked at the timetable they have in their web page for the Welcome programme and I really liked the activities. However, I decided that I will not take the meal package but only the accommodation as I prefer choosing my own food and it's not a very big problem for me to cook something.
    I think you should come as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taureniits)
    The cost was also the main reason why I was not sure I want to attend the Welcome to Warwick programme. However, I decided that I will go as I talked to some other international undergraduates and they said that at first they were sceptical as well but now they don't regret going as they made a lot of friends and had a great time. Therefore, I think it is worth spending some money in order to get to know others and make some new friends. Moreover, I looked at the timetable they have in their web page for the Welcome programme and I really liked the activities. However, I decided that I will not take the meal package but only the accommodation as I prefer choosing my own food and it's not a very big problem for me to cook something.
    I think you should come as well
    That's a bit of a relief.
    I've read this page as well and it sort of convinced me to attend.
    Do you happen to know whether or not they have a vegan option for the meal package? I can't seem to find any information on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgabriel)
    Do you happen to know whether or not they have a vegan option for the meal package? I can't seem to find any information on that.
    They should be able to cope with everything: ring them up and ask to make sure they're aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgabriel)
    I am not sure about whether they have a vegan option, but they do offer vegetarian option. Citation from their page- ''A vegetarian option will be provided with each meal.'' Are you an international or EU student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taureniits)
    I am not sure about whether they have a vegan option, but they do offer vegetarian option. Citation from their page- ''A vegetarian option will be provided with each meal.'' Are you an international or EU student?
    Oh, thanks! I'm glad when people know the distinction between the two.
    I'm a EU student, but I think the programme would be equally useful for both EU and international students.

ReputationRep:
    word up tennis club here, we can confirm we're great people and hope you come join thanks

speaking to international students I know if your english is like C2 level I don't know if I'd bother with the welcome to warwick, but if not I probably would as it's a good way to meet other internationals and get a good look at the area. but you do miss out on arriving with the rest of your peers etc.

team wise our teams are very good, but come down to trials in week 1 or 2 (i can't remember!!) and see if you do well, if not there's plenty of great players who aren't in the team who are usually happy to have a hit. time commitment is entirely what you make of it, but if you put lots of time into the club (ie. socials and play) you'll get great things out of it!

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.