Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here - but wanted to ask some advice.

Just a bit of background - I've just finished my degree - I did Business. I did a lot better than I expected and got a 1st. Got OK A-Level grades too.

Anyway so I'm looking to get into HR. Last September I started looking for grad schemes but was faced with a barrage of rejection - things started to pick up and I got a few interviews but unfortunately didn't get any jobs. Then around April time I started applying for entry level jobs - in the beginning it was tough because a lot of the roles I looked at required a years worth of experience, and even though I did a placement year in recruitment and have had part time jobs etc, it's nver necessary.

Anyway, the jobs I have interviewed for have always gone very well. I've built up a rapport and in some cases had second stage interviews, but the feedback mostly comes back to "We/they really liked you; you're bright, articulate blah blah blah BUT the role isn't going to give you enough and you'll become bored in no time".

Now this puts me in a confusing situation - of course I want to show that I'm ambitious, I'm a very hardworking person and have a plan of what I want my career to look like, the competition is tough, so an employer should be inclined to go with someone that can add value to the company; but I can't apply for a job that is a step up as I have no experience. These roles often require a CIPD - but I need money to do that first!!

I don't know if anyone has been in a similar situation and could provide some guidance?

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Carry on doing what you're doing and also apply for step up jobs. You may want to think about your interview technique though because it sounds like you're coming across as over ambitious in some cases (and hence the you'll be bored feedback) and you want to come across as ambitious in the step up jobs. You never know when someone will take a chance on you. Looking for jobs isn't easy and rejections are hard to deal with but keep at it. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Apply for fixed term contract role as a starter. You'll build up the experience and they won't have the issue of you being bored as you will only be there for a short period of time.

There will be lots of entry level temp/short term contract roles available, especially as HR tends to require ad-hoc support due to its cyclical nature, and also has higher levels of FTC due to things like maternity leaves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by via_1993)
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here - but wanted to ask some advice.

Just a bit of background - I've just finished my degree - I did Business. I did a lot better than I expected and got a 1st. Got OK A-Level grades too.

Anyway so I'm looking to get into HR. Last September I started looking for grad schemes but was faced with a barrage of rejection - things started to pick up and I got a few interviews but unfortunately didn't get any jobs. Then around April time I started applying for entry level jobs - in the beginning it was tough because a lot of the roles I looked at required a years worth of experience, and even though I did a placement year in recruitment and have had part time jobs etc, it's nver necessary.

Anyway, the jobs I have interviewed for have always gone very well. I've built up a rapport and in some cases had second stage interviews, but the feedback mostly comes back to "We/they really liked you; you're bright, articulate blah blah blah BUT the role isn't going to give you enough and you'll become bored in no time".

Now this puts me in a confusing situation - of course I want to show that I'm ambitious, I'm a very hardworking person and have a plan of what I want my career to look like, the competition is tough, so an employer should be inclined to go with someone that can add value to the company; but I can't apply for a job that is a step up as I have no experience. These roles often require a CIPD - but I need money to do that first!!

I don't know if anyone has been in a similar situation and could provide some guidance?

Thanks!
    I wanted to get into HR too but luckily my work history in office work gave me an insight into the role, now I'm a Recruitment Administrator.

You could look into gaining experience in office, as HR roles are in this working environment anyway.
    I suggest you ask at different companies for work experience/internships or even volunteering. I got my first office job working as a temp through an agency at a call centre, so registering at an agency isn't a bad idea too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.