What would be right? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi

I have anxiety issues and it started to get better with a therapy (no medication for now) and then it just felt weird, I don't know if I should carry on with it or not.

The therapist is kind and helpful (At least he was) but now he wants me to remember some things I don't want to remember, and I know it is supposed to be part of that therapy but it literally makes me sick thinking about what happened. I want to move on and I feel like it's not helpful anymore.

Anyway I am thinking about stopping that therapy for the good. What do you think? If I stop, would it be a mistake? I really don't know what to do. I feel kind of lost just now.

Has anyone ever be in such a situation?

Thanks.
chelseadagg3r
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Try talking to your therapist about your thoughts of quitting. He might be able to explain why he's having you go through those things, or may understand better how hard you're finding it and slow down or try something else.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
Try talking to your therapist about your thoughts of quitting. He might be able to explain why he's having you go through those things, or may understand better how hard you're finding it and slow down or try something else.
I haven't really thought about talking to him about that.. Maybe it would be a good idea actually. I hope he'll understand, because I really don't want to go through my memories again.
Thank you for the reply
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

I have anxiety issues and it started to get better with a therapy (no medication for now) and then it just felt weird, I don't know if I should carry on with it or not.

The therapist is kind and helpful (At least he was) but now he wants me to remember some things I don't want to remember, and I know it is supposed to be part of that therapy but it literally makes me sick thinking about what happened. I want to move on and I feel like it's not helpful anymore.

Anyway I am thinking about stopping that therapy for the good. What do you think? If I stop, would it be a mistake? I really don't know what to do. I feel kind of lost just now.

Has anyone ever be in such a situation?

Thanks.
Unfortonately remembering bad things is usually a part of therapy, but sometimes you're just not ready to jump into it that quickly. If you're not ready to do that talk to your therapist and see if you can take it more slowly or something.

I would suggest trying to keep going especially if you have found that it has helped you so far. It would really suck to loose any progress. Be open with your therapist about how you are feeling though and if it feels like something is not right tell them.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kindred)
Unfortonately remembering bad things is usually a part of therapy, but sometimes you're just not ready to jump into it that quickly. If you're not ready to do that talk to your therapist and see if you can take it more slowly or something.

I would suggest trying to keep going especially if you have found that it has helped you so far. It would really suck to loose any progress. Be open with your therapist about how you are feeling though and if it feels like something is not right tell them.
You both are right, I should definitely talk to him about it. I look forward to it now, and I shall see how it goes.
Thanks for replying
EnterNamehereplz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He is exposing you to these things because it will then help you move forward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1199)
79.56%
Leave (308)
20.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed