Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I live in Cambridge and do chauffered punting tours for the tourists.. anyone got any "amusing" stories I might not have heard that the tourists might want to hear? Can be from any time period etc.

Along the lines of a Trinity Hall student putting a bullet through a portrait of a judge and getting away with it because the judge was deemed "provocatively ugly".. you know the score.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey Matthew
    Care to share any of your current stories? (The only ones I know are the brick throwing at interview ones )

ReputationRep:
    The Trinity Hall one I mentioned above.

Thomas Grumbold (who designed Clare Bridge) only being paid 15p for it and so cutting some stone out of the bridge to keep himself, explaining a slice missing from the 2nd ball on the left. In the 80's, a couple of students made a replica ball out of papier-mache and pushed it off as a boatload of tourists came near. All the tourists jumped out of the boat to see the ball float away harmlessly..

Umm, it used to be said that you could walk from Cambridge to Oxford without leaving Trinity's grounds.

What else.. when Magdalene finally started accepting women, some of the men wore black arm bands on their first day, as they claimed they were in mourning.

Can I get a tip yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe next time I'm in Cam I must take a trip with you

Magdalene male pigs! To think I actually considered applying there.

Didn't students once manage to get a car onto the roof of some college without anybody noticing?

ReputationRep:
    No idea. Would be interested to find out more about that. If you actually are coming to Cambridge (preferably with about 40 Chinese tourists) and want to go out on the river, PM me. Say 41 of you at £6 each, I'd make about £65 straight away

*wakes up*

ReputationRep:
    LOL I love the Clare bridge ones.

I once heard something, that Hitler thought one of the colleges was so pretty he ordered that it never be bombed in order that he could use it as headquarters when he took England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)

Thomas Grumbold (who designed Clare Bridge) only being paid 15p for it and so cutting some stone out of the bridge to keep himself, explaining a slice missing from the 2nd ball on the left.
    Last time I heard this one I heard it slightly differently, I heard that the college was so cheap they didn't want to pay the guy, so when he went, they removed a slice of the ball. Then they claimed they didn't have to pay him because it wasn't finished, and couldn't be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    LOL I love the Clare bridge ones.

I once heard something, that Hitler thought one of the colleges was so pretty he ordered that it never be bombed in order that he could use it as headquarters when he took England.
    Oooh, that'd be a really good story. Don't suppose you know anything more?

ReputationRep:
    Umm, it used to be said that you could walk from Cambridge to Oxford without leaving Trinity's grounds.
    That's St John's I think, you can walk from St John's Oxford to St John's Cambridge without leaving St John's land.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    That's St John's I think, you can walk from St John's Oxford to St John's Cambridge without leaving St John's land.
    St. John's is very rich like Trinity, but I'm pretty sure that it's Trinity with the Cambridge to Oxford grounds story.

ReputationRep:
    St. John's is very rich like Trinity, but I'm pretty sure that it's Trinity with the Cambridge to Oxford grounds story.
    Well, its certainly been said you can do Ox-Cam on St. John's grounds, Trinity may be the same, though I haven't heard anyone say it.

ReputationRep:
    OK. I'm just going by what I've been told by everyone else. I'll try look it up.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, that'd be a really good story. Don't suppose you know anything more?
    There's that "There's more nobel prize winners in trinity than the entire southern hemisphere, or France" one.

Or the mathematical bridge by queens was first built without any nails or screws etc, but then some academics took it a part to see how it was staying up, and couldn't put it back together again. (Definitely not true apparently).

Make some up!

ReputationRep:
    Got any idea if that Nobel Prize one is actually true?

ReputationRep:
    We were talking a few days ago about the student who supposedly read in the university statutes that he was entitled to ask for food and drink during the exams, so he did, and the college then took their own look at the rules and found out that they could fine him for not wearing a sword to the exams. I don't think it's true though.

Also, the Queens' College "Mathematical Bridge" was supposed to have been designed by Newton to hold itself together without any screws, but students took it apart to see how it worked and couldn't put it back together again. That's also not true, since the bridge was built quite a few years after Newton's death.

The van on the roof story is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    There's that "There's more nobel prize winners in trinity than the entire southern hemisphere, or France" one.
    No, I don't think that's true. I think Trinity has about 30 (which is still a lot), but France has had more. Not sure about the Southern Hemisphere...the Nobel Prizes are very biased towards Europe/North America anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    We were talking a few days ago about the student who supposedly read in the university statutes that he was entitled to ask for food and drink during the exams, so he did, and the college then took their own look at the rules and found out that they could fine him for not wearing a sword to the exams. I don't think it's true though.
    Snopes, wonderful snopes...

http://www.snopes.com/college/admin/cakesale.asp

ReputationRep:
    I've heard both "Trinity has more nobel prizewinners than France" and the Trinity Cam to Trinity Ox ones .

ReputationRep:
    Ever noticed that statue of Henry the 8th above the entrance to Trinity? See that he is holding a chair leg in his hand? It used to be a sceptre(spelling??? Can't be bothered to look it up.) but some students stole it (centuries ago?)and replaced it with the chair leg. The sceptre was never found.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I've got one!
    My friend told me while showing me around Cam about this church we were passing. Can't remember the name, but you have to be within ten miles of it during term time to graduate. However people kept on going to MIT to do years abroad. So Cambridge, in its infinite wisdom rearranged geography. So according to the university, Cambridge Massachusetts is within ten miles of Cambridge England .

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.