Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all. And yes, I am a proud.. "Scudamortian".

Been particularly angered by over eager touts then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Well, its certainly been said you can do Ox-Cam on St. John's grounds, Trinity may be the same, though I haven't heard anyone say it.
    I've never heard anyone say it about John's. Trinity has owned the most land since the Reformation asit was the most royalist college during the Civil War. Apparently it once was true but isn't any more. Another rumour along those lines which I know to be false is that the wine cellars stretch to Grantchester (you could still tell that to the tourists).

Before I continue I should warn that all the non-Trinity based ones I know (the ball at Clare bridge, the ale, and the porter and tourist stories) have been told, so there rest all concern my immediate environs.

The first story I know to be true is that Wren's first designs for the Wren Library were rejected - the fellows didn't like them (this was told to us my the Master at matriculation dinner).

Another Trinity/John's story is that John's were building a clock tower, but at the time the number of clock tower's was limited (to prevent excessive noise or something like that). Trinity then decided to quickly build a wooden clock tower and they received a permit first, which is why Trinity has a clock tower and John's doesn't (they have a bell tower, but there is no clock face on it).

And finally, although it is sadly not true that Trinity has had more Nobel Prize winners than France (France has had in the 50s, and Trinity in the 30s), it is apparently true (though I have not verified this) that Trinity has had more Nobel Prize winners in Physics than Oxford has had in all subjects put together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ot209)

2. kings bridge is the last place one can legally duel in England - you need permission from the Provost and you must be a (first-class) Scholar: TRUE
    Uh-huh.... now is that only Kings students or can alien scholars join in the fun too?

(Original post by Squishy)
    No, I don't think that's true. I think Trinity has about 30 (which is still a lot), but France has had more. Not sure about the Southern Hemisphere...the Nobel Prizes are very biased towards Europe/North America anyway.
    Trinity has had 31, France has had 49.
    However, France has the 4th most nobel prizes in the world - 5th place being Sweden with 30. So Trinity has more prizes than all but france germany, uk and usa. it also is responsible alone for 1/3 of all UK prizes
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    it is apparently true (though I have not verified this) that Trinity has had more Nobel Prize winners in Physics than Oxford has had in all subjects put together
    Now I hope that's true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Thanks all. And yes, I am a proud.. "Scudamortian".

Been particularly angered by over eager touts then?
    Not really, but I usually have headphones on when I go over Silver Street bridge and I don't go to Quayside that often. On the rare occasions that I do I seem to look sufficiently local for them not to bother me...

I don't mind the fact that there are touts especially, as I just have to glance at the river and see the tourists without guides to realise how much worse it would be without touts punting them...

ReputationRep:
    I was once on Clare Bridge when I heard a punt tour guide passing below. He was telling the tourists 'This is the college which Bridget Bardot attended' and they were all ooohing and ahhing at this amazing fact, taking photos etc. Americans will believe anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    I've never heard anyone say it about John's. Trinity has owned the most land since the Reformation asit was the most royalist college during the Civil War. Apparently it once was true but isn't any more.
    Well it refers to St John's Oxford as well as St Johns's Cambridge, allegedly you can walk between the 2 without leaving land owned by either college.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if this qualifies, but the guy who designed Robinson college, built a prison, then Robinson, then a mental hospital, then killed himself. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Don't know if this qualifies, but the guy who designed Robinson college, built a prison, then Robinson, then a mental hospital, then killed himself. :confused:
    Haha, my mum thought the place looked like a prison. But then, I am a troublemaker, so it suits me.

She was impressed by the gardens and the ducks though. We didn't see any squirrels.

ReputationRep:
    Awww poor you. My friend said the first thing he saw when he looked out the window of his room was a squirrel . I saw one on my way to look at Robinson. Put me in a very good mood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I heard a slightly different version of the Clare bridge story. The man was not paid only 15p, but was paid 15p short of what he should have got. So he came along and took away 15p worth of stone

Will let you know other stories if I tihnk of any.
    Interesting. In my day (a few years after the papier mache/ Japanese tourist incident) the story was very different. In this version the missing segment was the result of a wager between two dons. The one bet the other a large sum of money that he could'nt say how many stone balls were on Clare bridge. The other said of course he could, it was eight (or was it 12?); no! the first don said, it is only 7 3/4 - having removed a portion of one ball previously- and took the money.

But I am not a Clare alumnus, so it may be just a rumour¬

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait it just occured to me! You could always mention the incident where Wittgenstein lost touch with reality and threatened Karl Popper ( who he had invited to speak at the university ) with a fire poker.

http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/about_facu...c_history.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...334108-9854213

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Oh wait it just occured to me! You could always mention the incident where Wittgenstein lost touch with reality and threatened Karl Popper ( who he had invited to speak at the university ) with a fire poker.

http://www.phil.cam.ac.uk/about_facu...c_history.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...334108-9854213

i once had a supervision i the room in which that happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    I was once on Clare Bridge when I heard a punt tour guide passing below. He was telling the tourists 'This is the college which Bridget Bardot attended' and they were all ooohing and ahhing at this amazing fact, taking photos etc. Americans will believe anything!
    I heard one going by Trinity (while I was walking to the UL) who was telling his tourists how this was 'St John's college, the largest and wealthiest of the colleges, where Sir Isaac Newton attended' - I'm sure that would be news to Sir Isaac!

Equally I have heard Trinity called Trinity Hall, though that is more understandable given how similar the names are.

The guy (i assume Mr Robinson) who gave the money for the building of Robinson college also donated most/all the money for the building of the Rosie maternity annexe of addenbrookes hospital. It's named Rosie after his late wife.
    J

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know who Robinson is named after. That story is all I've heard about it to be honest. I suppose I should find out

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know who Robinson is named after. That story is all I've heard about it to be honest. I suppose I should find out
    I guy callen Robinson donated the money which was used to found the college - don't know anything about him though.

ReputationRep:
    Here.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm something to look up I guess

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.