Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'False Flag' is a concept every curious person should be aware of Watch

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_flag

I'm not saying we should be fools and make a conspiracy out of everything. I even saw some maddening man on RT saying the latest attacks in Germany were false flag by Nato. Why the hell would establishment spin against the EU and against neoliberalism and mass migration, when all the evidence is them spinning in the opposite direction?

I do think however we should be aware of and think about this as a concept, and of genuine historically documented occurences, just for a balanced view. It changed my world view when I learnt of it. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it does make you question the wider picture a lot and ask deeper questions.

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?...4&jumival=8962

Fascinating interview with former spy who reveals documented cases from her career. I'm really posting this because it's quite a complex and perplexing issue, so I thought it would be useful to start a discussion on it. I'm looking to gain other perspectives.

How should we use the knowledge of this and phenomena, what can we learn and how do we deal with such ambiguities if and when they exist? How does it affect your world view, in terms of truth, fiction, the objective vs the subjective? Is there a philosophical solution? Is there a practical one?

ReputationRep:
    RT is the Russian state news outlet, so naturally they're going to be quite bias against NATO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    RT is the Russian state news outlet, so naturally they're going to be quite bias against NATO
    Yeah mate that was really the least important part of the whole post though, maybe I should delete it...

ReputationRep:
    I've seen quite a few members on here claiming terror attacks in France were false flags

As with most conspiracy theories, their arguments are poor!

ReputationRep:
    We should just abolish the nations. :sly:

ReputationRep:
    Which RT are you reffering to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Which RT are you reffering to?
    RT (Russia today)

ReputationRep:
    RT (Russia today)
    There are two, both go under the name of Russia today however RT itself is different, Russia Today is the television news whilst Russia Today [Rossiya Segodnya] is a web based news agency with the latter being owned by the state and the former more just funded by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    I've seen quite a few members on here claiming terror attacks in France were false flags

Yes, I know that's rubbish. I'm talking about the instances where it is true, how it should inform our world view and judgement in general. I'm looking for a more philosophical examination. Whilst conspiracy theorists are harmful, it is also worth noting that the opposite extreme, people who want all dissent and questioning shut down, and a slavish obedient attitude to all government information, might equally be harmful. I'm fine with people who know a load of it is BS and fake theories,. However I'm more troubled with the type of person who is so far the other way, that they would look at that wiki page or the testimonies of experts, former spies, and the bona fide, documented cases with Israel and Ireland and complete dismiss that too, not even allow their brain to consider it objectively. My view is that they don't want to deal with complications in their world view and any sort of cognitive dissonance. I'm surprised how many people are so incurious, and as evidence by this last referendum, so easily propagandized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)

Governments have admitted to them in past though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.